Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping the temp at 325 while basting a turkey

JeffH
JeffH Posts: 4
edited November 2011 in Root
How do you keep the BGE temp. at 325 while basting the turkey every 30 minutes?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    just do it as fast as possible and dont worry much about the temps, turkeys can be cooked between 220 and 500 degrees, i just shoot for 325. i like to baste all that herbed fatty liquid back up onto the bird and you want to keep an eye on the pan so that the liquid doesnt go dry, add stock if you have to. with the adustable rig i have i can lift out the bird and pan easily and remove the drippings toward the end of the cook for starting the gravy.  tweeve, how do you reach thru the dome with a basting bulb to get to the liquid under the bird to baste with.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    O.K. Tweev we got it you think you are smart ;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited November 2011
    ignore temps swings from opening the dome.

if you are cooking at 350, and you open the dome, baste the turkey, and shut the dome only to see 'gasp!' the dome temp reads 250... well.  the only thing that really cooled off much is the thermometer. the egg will return to temp quick enough

if you want too baste, go ahead.  to each his own.
    but don't worry about cooling things down too much.  you might cause the turkey to take longer (barely) , but the turkey cooks faster in the egg anyway.

fwiw, i'm not a fan of calling things stupid or dumb.  if people feel that way on their own, that's one thing.  but saying it outright is, well, dumb. and stupid.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    and yet always worth more than what you offer.  always
  • Yall argue at every thread?  I kinda think its funny.  heyyyo

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Paul,

Read for a while and make the judgement as to who you would trust.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven,  It's kind of like the little town I am from, there's the story tellers that you must cipher the "truth" from the bullyeesh.  But they keep the crowd a laughin'!

It's why the South is Country.

Paul
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2011
    Stike and I are secret lovers.  No big deal. He pretends to be me half the time anyway.
    Little Steven is just small.  In every way.

We're just trying to keep it fresh is all. ;)
    Well, if anyone would know, you would

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• That guy has some big ears!

Paul
  • Honestly Guys, there no place for this kind of childish behavior. I am not sure how any of the rude comments in this thread help the OP with his question.

The BGE is about creating a help community for BGE users.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • stike
    @charcoal_addict:
    welcome to a world with tweev.  long history there.  it's his thing.

i answered the o.p.

what are YOUR thoughts on maintaining temp?
  • I don't thinking basting would have much of an effect on the temp in a ceramic cooker as long as your not opening the lid every 10 minutes to baste.

You might baste 2-3 times during a cook at the most. That would mean having the Lid open for less than a minute or two for basting. I would mutitask other parts of the cooking process with the basting to minimize the number times Jeff would have to open the lid.

- Foiling off the Breasts so they don't over cook (Good time to baste.)
    - Rotating the bird around the hot spot in the back to make sure you get an even cook. (Good time to baste)
    - If you hitting the bird with the Thermapen to see how things are coming along (Good time to baste)

If the Bird takes an extra 10-20 minutes, no biggie, it's good time to catch up on the game.

Another option wouod be using the CyberQ 2 BBQ Guru temp control unit with open lid detection to restore the temp quickly after Jeff opens his lid to baste. Granted a temp control unit would be a nicety and not a necessity. (Peace of mind and more time to enjoy some football)
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    i like to baste the bird, but more than that basting into the cavity where i put the onion apple, lemon, herbs etc it washes flavor back into the liquid and makes for a better gravy, for me its about gravy.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tweeve, All the person wanted to know was how to maintain the temp.  He got some very good answers and advice.  Does not help to call what he is doing stupid or dumb.  My mother used to baste her turkey, probably because her mother did.  Neither of them were dumb or stupid.  Personally I found your video offensive, insensitive, (dumb and stupid). I never baste turkeys because I never found it useful but after your comments I think I'll baste on Thursday. Just call me dumb and stupid.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited November 2011

Don't baste if you don't want to but if you do, then go right ahead and don't worry about temp swing.  Either way, you will be fine.

I don't baste.

TT - do you have to leave the kissing Pope pic?  Painful to look at.

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Tweeve,based on the many comments you have made throughout this forum,  I have found you to be very knowledgable with respect to the BGE cooking.  I will continue to read what you say with interest since I want to continue to learn.  I will digest the facts and disregard any derogatory comments you continue to make toward fellow eggheads.
  • stike
    look closer at his BGE info too. hahahaha
  • "Greatest Egghead of all time" IMHO

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @LS here here! 
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Schweez. I meant that. No facetiousness here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @ LS: I'm with ya, my maple leaf lovin friend. 
  • I don't love them anymore. I did for a while when they were on top of the league. GO KNUCKS

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Basting is a preference. A good Chef does what is required to make their audience happy. Whether you choose to baste or not really comes down to Preference.

I prefer injections and only basting once half way though the cook for good measure. This is done when I foil off the breast and rotate the bird for even browning.

Every time you open the lid It may cost you an extra 5-15 minutes depending the the temp outside. Not a big deal when there's a game on TV.

• @LS- Yep, I hurt my back getting off that wagon. They are back to my 30th favourite team.  I think all is right in the universe again.  #:-S
  • Hate to jack this informative thread but are you from this way originally?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    edited November 2011
    Oh well, it went to hell at you guy's are swell.  :-)) Yes, 30 years ago. Gravenhurst 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2011

Cool place,

My Dad taught at the fire college there. I think we are swell anyway;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Although, the island is really the best place I have been

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• This has to be one of the most mutt forum post ever. Everything from the actual turkey question, to basting is stupid, to some person is stupid, to a "yo momma", to drinking beer, to Two men embracing, to hockey, to towns in Canada. Haha. This is awesome, mainly because we will are talking about cooking, somehow. Heyyyo!!
  • stike
    You meant 'moot' i'm sure.
    Though steven is a mutt