Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating a turkey? Or transporting one 100 miles

FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
I've had my Egg for 1 month today, and have cooked on it probably 15+ times.  My family wants me to do a turkey for Thanksgiving, and I'm completely in agreement...the only problem is, Thanksgiving dinner will be 100 miles from where I live.  

Given the time it takes to make a turkey, and the distance involved, I'm concerned that this won't work out.  I had thought about trying to time it so I could put the cooked turkey in a cooler to stay warm and driving the 1 hr 20 min trip but timing would be crucial and would be a lot of pressure to not keep them waiting if cook took an extra hour or so.

Is it possible to reheat a turkey that has been smoked on the Egg without completely ruining it? Any input would be great, as I'd love to do this, but don't want to make a promise I can't keep.

Thanks,
Frank

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I would use one of those portable plug-in cooler/heater units for the trip, but forget about crispy skin.

I'm sure your family will understand ... good luck!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Restaurants and caterers have special holding cabinets that adjust both temperature and humidity so that crisp cooked foods stay crisp for many hours. However, I suppose you don't have one of those sitting around.

The bird can be kept warm enough in a great big "cooler," and the Egg'd flavor will not go away. I think it would still be a pretty good meal, but if there was an easy way for turkey to be done an hour and a half in advance, most cooks would be doing that at home just to avoid the last minute rush before serving.

Maybe seal it in a baking bag for transportation, use the juices that seep out for gravy, and place the bird briefly in a very hot oven after basting with melted butter.

• Pull the turkey off the egg when internal temp reaches 160. wrap in aluminum foil and cover with a towel. place in a warm cooler, then hit the road.  this bird would need to rest for an hour anyway, another 30 minutes aint gonna hurt nothin. you'll be ready to serve as soon as you get there.  wont even have to reheat.  

GreyGoose
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Frank
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    @gdenby What is a 'special holding cabinet'?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    I have a thick styrofoam cooler.  You know the ones that very expensive steaks come in.  I take the turkey off the grill, wrap it in aluminum foil, then a space blanket with a towel on top.  Bungy the top and put it in the trunk.  I live 86 miles from work and make turkey at a lot of functions.  Trust me, I have done pork butts for work and when I arrived they were too hot to pull. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

gdenby an hour and half cook on a turkey is no problem. Do it all the time.

Spatchcock a 12lb bird. 375 direct high in dome and never turn. No problem. Done it seven or eight times.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if its a good sized bird cooked at roasting temps i would pull it and into the cooler at 150 degrees internal, internal temps will easily rise 20 degrees in a cooler, probably more
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Mickey, I'm not saying that a bird can't be done in an hour and a half. I'm saying that I've never been able to hold one that long after cooking, and have it as good as one carved after about half an hour.

By the end of the T-day meal, when folks are going for the third helping of turkey, it doesn't matter to me if the food is getting dry, and the skin is soggy. I just want the first few bites of the first serving to be like what i get when I am carving it.
  • I'm thinking the emergency blanket would help a lot. I usually end up putting some gravy on the meat after it's carved too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON