Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Edge glue a top?

djurta
djurta Posts: 1
edited November 2011 in EGG Table Forum
Okay eggheads, I've bought the lumber (african mahogany) and am getting ready to build a table.  I've seen many photos here and on Naked Whiz with solid table tops--no spacing between boards.  I'd like to do that with my top but am concerned about wood movement/warping.  I'm in northern VA and the table will have a grill cover but will be out on a deck.  Am I setting myself up for trouble?  

Many thanks,

Dan

Comments

• If you use Gorilla Glue and the Kreg Jig, you should not have to worry about the the boards separating. I would use hardwood for a table top. Softwoods tend to have a higher rates of Expansion and contraction.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Not sure what your level of experience is with building a solid top but there are many ways.  Personally I used #20 biscuits every 6 inches over a 6 foot top.   I like the biscuits better than Keg Jig for a table top but the Keg Jig is great for many other uses.