Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

cooking a turkey

ricktannerricktanner Posts: 24
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
when cooking a whole 14lb turkey do you put the PS legs down or up? also do i need to place in a foil pan to cook,and at what temp for how long ?

Comments

• DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    Are you going to Spatchcock the turkey? When I cook turkeys I put the PS in Legs up with a foil lined pan under the grill.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • 57Driver57Driver Posts: 3
    edited November 2011
    I put my PS in legs up and used the ceramic feet that came with the grill to elevate the drip/roasting pan so the fat/drippings don't scorch.  I think I used @350 for 20 min/lb.  When you're done, pour the drippings into a measuring cup, let the fat rise, skim the fat and use the rest for gravy.  Good stuff!
  • I cooked a 16 pounder yesterday, just to make a test run for Thanksgiving.  Put the PS in legs up, laid a couple of fire bricks on top, then a 9 X 13 drip pan and then the turkey in the BGE rack inside the pan.  I added some chicken broth to the pan and replenished a time or two.  Turned out absolutely perfect.  The only thing I would do differently next time is to line the pan with HD aluminum foil.
  • i recently spatchcocked a 13 pounder. injected it with wine , butter, and honey. Damn thing was done within 2 hours and absolutely delicious. you'll be hard pressed to come out with a better bird. i just cant figure out why anyone would want to cook a turkey a different way. 

greygoose
  • KMagnusKMagnus Posts: 114
    Assuming you're going the more traditional route (i.e. not spatchcock where you remove the backbone and open it flat), put the PS legs up and put a drip pan or 2 smaller ones on the PS with the grid on top.  You shouldn't need to cook it in a foil pan or otherwise unless you are looking to capture the juices with other ingredients being used for a gravy.

I've had the best success sticking with dome temp at or between 325-350.  The time will depend on the size of your turkey, whether you're stuffing it or not, spatchcock or not, and how consistent you maintain the temp - among other variables.  But, you can use 12-18 minutes per pound to determine when to start checking the temp.  Breast should be 160-165 and dark meat about 180.

Good luck!
    Ken
  • What's spatchcooking?
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,102
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
    I agree with Greygoose--- after cooking one spatchcocked, I won't go back to, well, unspatchcocked.  It cooks in less time, it cooks more evenly and it looks cool.