Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To all my BBQ Brothers and Sisters… (and everyone else)

RonW.
RonW. Posts: 22
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum

To all my BBQ Brothers and Sisters…. (and everyone else)

I just got home from spending six days in the hospital. Monday this week I checked my self into the ER with symptoms of shortness of breath or a feeling of not getting enough air in my lungs with multiple deep breaths and a deep muscle pain in the calf. ER ordered chest x-rays, cat-scan, echo cardiogram and an ultra sound of my leg.

And th...e results were a blood clot in my leg with part of it breaking off and showering into my lungs as they put it, a Pulmonary Embolism.

All the doctors attribute this to making (2) 8 hour car drives (Lynchburg), the blood just hangs in the legs, not circulating and the blood clot was formed.

The drugs of choice are Lovenox injections and Coumadin (blood thinners) for a period of 3 months then re-evaluate the blood work. They also placed an intra-vena-cavity filter in the vein to catch future clots from traveling to the lungs or worse. The existing clots should dissolve over time.

So the moral of the story is:
When you are taking a long trip by car or plane please make frequent stops, walk around until you get the blood flowing again. Believe me, it’s not worth the risk of getting there two hours early to go through what I went through in the last six days.

Sorry to be long winded, but I just wanted to let you know and y’all should head the warning!

Still UnYawn…

ps: Thanks for all the well wishes, phone calls and y'alls concern.
I have the greatest friends in the world!

Comments