Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pittsburg seak

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 779
edited October 2011 in Beef

i would love to smoke/grill the “pittsburg style” steak. A
rare steak is one that has been
cooked so it is charred on the outside but still rare on the inside.

any suggestions ? what cut of beef works best for this
cook?

thanks, and have a good weekend - mr toad

mr toad

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• lewis
    lewis Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey Mr toad
    I also love my steak kinda rare. A good cut is a must. T-bone or tenderloin , cut nice and thick Take the egg to 600 , be careful when opening it !!!!   2min. then flip then 2 mins then flip again  shut the air of for 2 more min.  Perfect evertime, as long as it at least and inch thick.
    I always put some kind of rub on in. Dizzy pig or Montreal steak spice.
    Enjoy !!!

Lewis
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    edited November 2011
    Options

What is Pittsburg style?

I just looked it up ... never heard that term on this side of the border ... according to Wikipedia, it is also known as Chicago-style and in Pittsburg as 'black & blue"

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Ribeye is my first choice, then New Yorks or T-Bone, Porter House. Cooked similar to Lewis. Rubbed with Worcestershire and seasoned with McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning. Seared @ 600 on cast iron grate for 2 minutes, flip for 2 minutes, closed the vents and raised to the felt line on regular grid for another 2 minutes. Great grill marks, rare inside. In our area Costco seems to have the best prices on USDA Choice or Prime beef, I would never use a grade less than USDA Choice.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of those cuts ... I love 'em all!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I have tried this method, but the steaks seem to get very smokey when shutting down all the vents. T-Rex method doesn't give the heavy smokey flavor.
    George
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    The smoke is dripping fat burning when it hits coals that have no oxygen to burn. That is pretty bad smoke. Only steak that i think works ok with the 'shut the vents' trick is maybe a filet, because there's virtually no fat.

I frankly gave up on the sear/dwell method after it gave my rib eyes a sooty fatty flavor a few too many times

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I'm not real big on closing the vents either.  Sear it and then cook it at around 350 until it reaches 125-130 internal.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Yeah. Seems to be about twenty ways to cook a steak, yet BGE keeps pimping the worst one. Well, second to worst. Maybe microwaving a steak would be the worst.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I should have said close the vents down, I didn't mean shut them off completely.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Just hot tub the steaks first and all you have to do is sear them. I usually get the mini or large with the spider to 700 and then sear 1 minute each side flipping every minute for a total of 4 minutes.
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    Rib eyes always work the best.  They have a higher fat content.