Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small vs. Medium Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Could anyone give advice on the small versus medium model of the egg? I am wanting to use it primarily for ribs, chicken, and brisket, with small groups in mind (typically 2-6). I am very much a novice, but I'd love to learn the art on the egg. The medium may stretch my pocket book a bit too much, but I'd like to hear of people's experiences with either the small or medium.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I'll give you my thoughts as a multiple Egg owner. IMHO, you need a medium to accomodate the space requirements of what you said you would be cooking the most. You COULD do everything you mentioned on a small, but you would be severely restricted (1 butt, 1 small brisket, maybe 2 slabs of ribs kinda folded up or rolled) on how much you can get in there. The medium would be much more flexible as to how much you can cook and I think it would fit your needs very well.[p]Frosty Ones,
    Jim

• tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Options
    Brian Prewitt, once you acquire an egg and start consuming it's production, you will see why everyone recommends getting the largest size you can afford. You will be amazed at how many folks will want to share in the food coming off of your new cooker! Many Eggers end up with several sizes, and a large/small combination is common. The small has a 13 inch grill; the medium is 15 inches in diameter; the large is 19 inch. Draw out those sizes to get an idea as to what is best for your needs....and welcome to the club!!

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    My_three_eggs.jpg
    <p />Brian Prewitt,[p]My rule of thumb is "Always go with the bigger Egg".[p]You can always get a smaller one later after your conversion to eggism is complete. :)[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]Couldn't agree more. Treat eggs like shoes. If you're not 100% sure which size you need, get the bigger one and you'll be okay.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Brian , always get the biggest Egg you can afford. You can cook for a small number on a big Egg, but you cannot cook for a big number on a small Egg. Irishrog

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    bigpair.jpg
    <p />Yep. Life is good when you got a pair of Big Ones. LOL[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Moldy Coyote
    Options
    Brian Prewitt,[p]I was saving some of my beer allowance to purchase a large, when I was fortunate to snag a "smokin'" deal on a medium on eBay. It's perfect for the 2 of us, and works well when we have 10-12 guests down to the lake.

That being said, my next purchase will be a large so that I don't have to prepare anything (side dishes, etc.) inside on the kitchen stove. With the help of the great folks on the forum, you'll be amazed how your guests rave over your Q'ing ability. Then you'll make new friends so you can justify another Egg, so that you can make more friends, so that you can justify another Egg, so that...[p]David[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. They are helpful.[p]JSlot raises a great question then. If I really need a medium for the type of cooking I plan to do, how should I weigh the Medium Green Egg and the Weber Smoker (the "Bullet" as it's called). It's A LOT less expensive, but has a cooking area comparable to the Large.[p]I'm already sold that the Egg would be a great smoker to learn on. Just how much better is it? Anyone had experience with the WSM?

• DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    Brian Prewitt,
    Well with the Egg and the WSM you are really comparing apples and oranges. I have a large egg and 2 WSM(bulltets). The Bullets are great when i need extra capacity for smoking but that is really about the extent of their usability. With the egg you will find yourself doing a wide variety of cooks from super high heat grilling to long low and slows to even baking and making pizzas.

• Unknown
    Options
    Brian Prewitt,[p]The large Egg is comparable to the WSM. And you are right in that the WSM is a hell of a lot less expensive than the large Egg. Both of these cookers will do a wonderful job with most of your cooking. There is really nothing that the Egg will do that the WSM won't do but it is sure much easier with the Egg. From smoking cheese at say about 80 degrees in the winter to cooking steaks at above 800 degrees, the Egg will do it all without much work. I own both of these cookers along with several others and I think that the Egg is the best backyard cooker out there and have 3 of them and do use them almost daily. If there was another backyard cooker out there that is any better than the Egg, I would own it!! [p]Let loose with a little change and purchase one of these cookers and I know you won't be sorry. The forum alone is worth the price of the cooker as you will have help with any of your cooking 24/7. [p]Dave

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Brian Prewitt,[p]Size Matters!!