Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High temp grilling

Options
canoeandcue
canoeandcue Posts: 41
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
New egg owner.... I was reading some posts on high temp grilling. My first cook was pizza. I have been told that 900 degrees is the perfect temp to cook pizza in a proper pizza oven. Figured I would get my egg to 750 Deg. which I achieved no prob. Kept it at that temp. for about 30 mins. to cook about 5 different pies. Will I burn out the gaskets at that temp for that amount of time?  I noticed a little bit of burn on the back a little...nothing major. any comments? Thanks all, Dan

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    More than likely. I cook mine at 650 and my gasket is toast. I don't worry about it, though,as I have no problem holding temps for my low and slow. I have a replacement gasket, but have been too lazy to put it on.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• canoeandcue
    Options
    Thanks Griffin, I will have to be careful. Cooking my 1st brisket on Sat. Hopefully good eats on Sunday !
  • Griffin
    Options

Eventually your gasket is gonna burn out no matter what you do. It's up to you if you want to replace it, some do, some don't. I haven't.

I've had my Egg coming up on a year now and if you look closely at this picture, you can see where there is no more gasket and you can see ceramic. Doesn't seem to hurt my cooks any.

Rowlett, Texas

• canoeandcue
    Options

Beautiful bark ! Making me salivate looking at the pic. Do you use a guru type device at all? Im wondering if its worth it for long cooks.

• Griffin
    Options

Nope, just an old maverick 73, not even then newer 732.

I've looked at getting a pit controller, maybe if Santa thinks I've been good. So far, I've never lost a fire in the middle of the night, but I've had one drop from 250 to 200.

Rowlett, Texas