Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt acting strange.....

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've cooked several butts and this one is acting strange. It's been on the grill now for 10 1/2 hours and it's just now at 145 F. The grill held steady at 230-240F all night and I bumped it to 260-270F at 6:30 this morning? Is it hitting an early plateau? Mine usually rise fairly quickly to 150 and plateau for several hours around 160-170.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    TideJoe,
    I have had them plateau that low before..I wouldn`t worry about it. If you are on a time schedule you could bump up the grill temp after you clear around 180° internal...HTH[p]Wess

• TideJoe,
    Your temperature probe could need be off. Have you checked it recently? Do you have another probe you could check it with?[p]Doug[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    TideJoe,[p]How big is the butt? I've had low plateaus before but not at 145. I would question either the dome thermometer or your digital probe. That long, even on a BIG butt would put it easily in the 160 plateau range. May be time to calibrate some thermometers. Stay with it, keep the dome temps us, you wont hurt the meat. If it continues to rise you're OK. My guess is that it will. I would seriously question my thermometers though, either the digitals (probably OK) or the dome (my guess is its reading high or its too close to the butt to get an accurate reading).[p]Troy
  • Smoked Signals,[p]I've got 2 probes in to.... one says 149 F the other says 151 F currently. The grill is around 300 F right now.