Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cuban Pork - Lechon Shoud I use Oak for the smoke?

Options
Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Lechon Asado has been marinading since yesterday afternoon. The Marinade tasted great, so I have some high expectations for this cook. 2 4# butts going on tonight.[p]I am wondering what type of wood to use for smoke. I don't want the hickory smoked pulled pork flavor. I just split up some nice oak chunks. Oak seems like it would be a "Traditional" flavor. I also have guava, hickory, mesquite, cherry, and black walnut. [p]I just don't know which to use.[p]Thanks,
Joe

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    i have done a mixture of hickory and cherry, but now that i have the guava. i would use it instead of the hickory and still use a lesser qty of cherry. dont know what is traditional for lechon asado

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    how does that walnut work for ya?... i never tried it...what kinds of meat do you use it on?

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    I've used fruitwoods (peach and pear) in the past, for no other reason than to attempt to get further differentiation from the good ol' American-style used for pulled pork. I think I've detected a difference, but truth be told, the marinade followed by the Mojo sauce in the final presentation do most of the talking to me...You haven't lost your Mojo, have you?[p]Like fishlessman, I'd be really tempted to try the guava wood if I had any. As for the "real thing," I' don't know for sure. Everything I've read about Lechon Asado says that the authentic method, first of all, involves roasting the entire pig in a pit out in the yard. Any specific recipes, instructions, etc. that I can recall seeing all used briquettes...eeeeehhhh! Said another way, there's lots of flexibility here, me thinks. Don't worry, if your crowd likes pulled pork, they will truly appreciiate this stuff...as long as you got your Mojo working!..lol

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Did it taste really smokey from the hickory? Meaning was the smoke level(Flavor) the same as pulled pork? I just was it to taste different than pulled pork.[p]Do you think the aromatic perfume of the guava would compliment this or would it not mix well?[p]Thanks.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    ranger ray,
    My dad nad I used to smoke striped bass with it. It is a really acidic flavor, kinda bites your tongue. I also remember a few years back that you were not supposed to used walnut for smoking at all. I'm still breathing...who knows really.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    WDAN,
    I was looking for a black bean recipe and I found this web page. This shows/tells you some history and how cubans roast a pig (SpatchCocked Pig). Thanks for your input, I think I have decided to do a 50/50 Guava/oak. That is if I can get out to the egg in this driving rain!!![p]Thanks,
    Joe

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    ive only done 2 cooks with the guava wood. one was a tuna steak seared, so not much smoke to taste. the other was a meatloaf and i liked the flavor, nice and mellow. i put atleast 1 small chunk of cherry in just about anything i cook. i dont put alot of smoking wood in during the cook so even with the hickory its a light flavor. ithink the guava wood would work just fine.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    Eggecutioner,i was curious about the taste cause back in my previous life as a shop teacher... i would occaisionally chew on a piece of walnut scrap wood... i kinda like the flavor but as you said... it's acidic! would the food taste the same?? i'll give it a try on some salmon...it seems like it might be good..thanks!