Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just an observation on cooking brisket (for what it's worth)

Options
GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
Last week I cooked a whole flat brisket and it was wonderful. Yesterday I cooked 2 more at the same time and the same way. Both of them were bought at the same store and I had the butcher help me pick out 2 matching flats. I wanted them to be close to the same size and shape. The end result is they both looked different when cooked, cooked different (I did rotate every hour) and had different texture. Both are very good and getting happy in their food saver bags. The egg is just more fun than I can handle sometimes.
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    speak to your butcher about getting a packer cut brisket which has both the flat and point.  You'll even be happier.

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Good reading. I did't realize you could cook a whole brisket the fast method. The husband has an aversion to having fires around the house during the night so an overnighter is out of the question. Also, I need my beauty sleep and that is why I have been playing around with the flats. But it was interesting that the briskets were so different in the same egg.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    If you get a remote thermometer (like Maverick ET-732) you can get your rest and still be monitoring the brisket. It has alarms which you can set to go off the pit temp gets too low or if the meat gets too high.

I once did a brisket by the fast method but wasn't too happy about it.  Others have had good luck, however.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I looked at them last night. Still considering it. It's tough teaching old ...... new tricks.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I've probably cooked 15-20 briskets over the years.  The last one I did I tried the fast (higher heat) method.  I wasn't real happy with it.  It was certainly the worst of all the briskets I've done.  It's possible it was just a bad brisket but I'm not in a big hurry to try the fast method again anytime soon.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    There was one time with my old smoker where two briskets came out completely differently; I think sometimes you just get an old cow or something.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrannyX4
    Options
    That was the point I was trying to make. The briskets were different - you just never know what you are going to get in the end. It was a "hmmmmm" moment when they came off the egg.