Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili on the EGG

MisterCode
MisterCode Posts: 69
edited November 2011 in Beef
Hello All!,
  I'm going to be making my chili tonight and want to let it simmer on the EGG to incorporate some smoke into the mix. It's more or less a typical beef & tomato based spicy chili. I would like advice on the smoking wood to use. I was thinking Mesquite would pair real well. Do any of you have a firm opinion on what would the best smoking wood to use for my chili?
XL 2010 w/ Self-made hardwood lump charcoal

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Red oak if you have it
  • I made some recently and used Hickory.  It came out great.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I think the mesquite is the best bet ... sweeter woods won't be as noticeable a flavoring.

Two to three hours should be enough.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Just curious, How is the flavor and aroma of Red Oak different from white oak? 
  • Squeezy
    I think sweeter ....
  • Fidel
    Red v. White oak is like night v. day.  Completely different.  The red has a much deeper and more intense flavor profile where white oak is more mild.  It is one of the most unique smells when burning, and gives a terrific flavor to beef.
  • Thanks for the description Fidel! Sounds good and I'd like to try it. A friend told me a story about red oak for smoking a couple years ago. I went looking for it and I've never seen it sold here in the Greenville, SC area. Do you know any big box (or smaller) stores that carry red oak smoking chunks/chips?
  • Do you know why Mexicans never BBQ?  Cause there beans keep falling thru the the grates!
  • Fidel
    Your bigotry may have been hilarious if I wasn't so utterly distracted by all the glaring grammatical and spelling errors.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    'thru' is an accepted colloquial spelling, fwiw.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    I was referring to the use of cause (sic) without the leading apostrophe indicative of the truncation.

doosh
  • They do a lot of barbacoa in MX. Cooking over wood and charcoal. Not like barbequing though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• After some extended Googling I came up with no brick and mortar stores around Greenville, SC that advertise red oak smoking chips or chunks. Hmmm, I guess I'll have to go with Mesquite today. I'm looking forward to this!
  • Squeezy
    Do you know why Mexicans never BBQ?  Cause there beans keep falling thru the the grates!

Similar to the Italians ... spaghetti doesn't sit well on a grate either ... yawn!
  • I use hardwoods left over from my cabinet making hobby.  As long as there is no finish, it is nice wood and usually very dry.

I also use Cherry the same way.  Check with a local woodworker or cabinet shop for cut-offs.
  • MisterCode,
      In the Greenville area, you can find red or white oak, it grows there.  You will have to go find it and cut yourself, or find someone who sells fire wood and get it from them.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • MisterCode
    MisterCode Posts: 69
    edited November 2011
    Thanks paulheels, I may have some on my property. I'll have to take a closer look at some of the oak logs back on my woodpile. That'd be cool if I already had some. Anyway, it's mesquite tonight. Some chips and a chunk. 

Can you guys see this? I'm kinda new to G+. Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out. I've got the temp held at 250. I'm going to let it simmer for 2hrs. 
  • Me and my wife had a big argument. We went grocery shopping and, not thinking, I left her to unload the car while I was on the back porch (unknown to her) firing up the egg to get it stabilized. She's mad because no matter what I make it has to be on the egg. Even when there's no reason (like chili). I want that smoke ingredient present. Don't really want to do that on the range. Anyway I really hope it turns out okay. Married almost 4 years. I've got a lot to learn...
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    edited November 2011
    As much as you pay for the egg, you shouldnt have to justify using it all ye time. My wife bought mine for me, so far the only thing she doesn't like are cookies. She says they taste like smoked chicken. Haha.
    You better take the groceries in though, that ish will get you in trouble

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • I don't use any chipotle chili in my chili but the mesquite seemed to impart a smoky chipotle-esqe flavor. Overall I liked it. Guests all enjoyed it too. A few of us went for seconds. I'll seek out some red oak next time to see what that does to it. Thanks all!
  • Menawa
    Menawa Posts: 3
    I use mesquite on nearly everything I smoke on the Egg to include Chili, it gives the food incredible flavor! 
  • Menawa said:
    I use mesquite on nearly everything I smoke on the Egg to include Chili, it gives the food incredible flavor! 
    Should be super helpful to the OP, ten years later.  Good job!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Menawa said:
    I use Mesquite mostly but I mix in Rockwood for about every 3rd cook.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Menawa said:
    Should be super helpful to the OP, ten years later.  Good job!
    Better late than never.  I never use mesquite for smoking, only for hot and fast.  To strong for my sensitive sensibilities.  I like Pecan with my chilli.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • What is the largest size dutch oven can I use for chili on my MiniMax? Thanks
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I put my 5 quart in my mini-max.  It would fit, except for the handles.  So, something smaller than a 5 quart.
    Clinton, Iowa