Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooker heats up slowly

Options
Bogonion
Bogonion Posts: 1
edited November 2011 in Root
The first time I cooked steak on my BGE the temperature rose very fast to over 600 degrees. Lately, however, the temp just creeps up very slowly, even with the bottom air vent wide open and no cap on the top. This is after I have removed the small pieces of charcoal from the charcoal chamber that might plug the air holes and raked out the ashes from below. I usually light the charcoal with 2 wax starter blocks. What's up??

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I have kind of seen similar results, but I have attributed it to the used lump. I think the fresh lump does get hot faster.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Personally, I've not really seen much (if any) difference in used vs new lump.

First thing I'd check is to make sure the holes along the perimeter of your firebox are not plugged up w/ ash - that's happened to me on more than 1 occasion, and a simple "unplugging" (sticking something like a "wiggle rod" in the holes & pushing out the old ash) has helped the airflow TREMENDOUSLY.

Also, if you're using the OEM fire grate, check to make sure those holes aren't plugged up w/ ash as well.

My 1st guess is that it seems like an airflow problem.

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee