Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

crispy turkey skin?

Options
lvsmokin
lvsmokin Posts: 15
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
So, I'm gonna do a pre run on the Thanksgiving turkey.  I'm thinking of brining it for 24 hours and then season it, then cook indirect at 325, breast up in a rack.  I want the skin to be crispy.  I have heard that there are some tricks out there for chicken but have never tried any of them. Is there anything i should try different than this, or are there any suggestions out there?  Thanks for the tips.

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Butter or oil
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • lvsmokin
    lvsmokin Posts: 15
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Thanks squeezy!  I will definitely rub inside and out with butter and seasoning.
  • LeoHat2
    Options

Make sure that the skin is as dry as possible before you put it on. 

Try dusting it (very) lightly with cornstarch and resting it in the 'fridge to help dry it out.

Or you could just cheat and use a little sugar and a brule torch. :)

• KMagnus
    KMagnus Posts: 114
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I'm going to try something different on a pre run turkey this weekend also.  In years past, I've brined for 24 hours and have been pleased - except for non-crispy skin.  But, I've never allowed the turkey to dry more than 1 hour after pulling it from the brine and prior to putting it in the BGE.  So, this week, I'm planning to start the brining process late tomorrow night and let it go for at least 36 hours.  Then, I will return it to the fridge (as LeoHat2 suggests) for at least 12 to 24 hours to dry out.

Hoping this will give me the skin I'm after.

Good luck!
    Ken
  • servicceguy
    Options

I have done a lot of turkeys on my BGE.  Cook it breast side down if you want to have the most flavorful, juicy, breast meat you can imagine.  for what its worth.  good luck!!

• lvsmokin
    Options
    thanks for all the tips... did a pre run using mad max's technique on the 7th.. Turned out good though the breast was still done a bit before the  dark meat.  Cookin a 26 pounder, brining for about 36 hours... Ill pull it a few hours early and dust with corn starch to let it dry out based on your suggestions. thanks again!!! happy T-Day!