Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Helllllp Brisket confusion!!

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Trouble in River City this morning. Got a call and my son-in-law asked me if I would be willing to do a brisket on the Egg. I've been cooking onMr. Egg for almost 6 years aand only did on small brisket that was a total disaster. Since then I've shied away from them woosie that I am.
I picked up a 9 pound flat with a modest fat cap last night and it's been resting in the frig with a heavy dusting of DP Jamican Firewalk on it. So, - my problem is what temp and what method to cook at? All of the recipts I have are all over the place - 9 to 10 hours for a 10 pounder. Up to three hours per pound says another. One even says 6 hours for an 11 pound flat. I'm under a lot of pressure here and need some help form my cult members here. Just my luck half the forum in on the way to Waldorf (lucky folks) so it's up to you stay at homes like me. Thanks

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Sundown,
    when does it need to be ready, today or tomorrow??

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Set it up for an indirect cook with a drip pan. Use some hickory chunks for smoke. Smoke it at 250 degree dome temp till the internal temp of the brisket reaches 185-190. Wrap in foil, then towels, and stick in a cooler for 30 minutes or till you are ready to serve. It will stay hot that way for hours.[p]It will take about 1.5 hours per pound to finish that way.[p]Have fun. The aroma after a few hours is heaven!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Sundown,
    I made a brisket about 2 weeks ago using the Naked Whiz's suggestions (see link below). I screwed up by putting the temp probe of my guru to close to the foil protector I used to protect the guru wires. The brisket was not as tender as I would have liked but it was still very good. Good luck today and no natter how it turns out you will have learned something. Let us know how it turns out.

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/brisket.htm[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Grillmeister,[p]10-4 on that, Grillmeister. I did one that way to the letter (okay, it was at 235 instead of 250 dome), and an 8 pound flat (no point) took exactly 15 hours, and was perfect.[p]
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Grillmeister,[p]Perfect. I've never had one fail yet. Give or take 1.5 hrs/lb usually gets it. Huge ones are less accurate as are those with a major point. But don't let anyone know I said "huge ones." It's Friday and the crowd is bound to get raucus.[p]mShark
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Mollyshark,[p]OT ALERT!!!! OT ALERT!!!! OT ALERT!!!![p]Mollyshark said "Huge Ones!!"[p]Stump!! Get over here quick!!
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Are you sure thats a 9 pound FLAT, that sounds big for a flat, typically they are in the 4-6 pound range. If its just the flat, and not a packer cut meaning the point and the flat together, it will cook a bit different. The flat will typically cook faster and you want to be sure not to let it dry out as its already trimmed of most of the fat. The packer cut will have a lot of fat on it and will remain moist during the cook.[p]Both will cook about the same, 250 indirect, mine typically go about an hour to 75 minutes a pound. You can foil it if you want after it goes through the plateau but its not necessary. I use a bit of oak and usually fruit woods for smoke on mine, hickory will work well also. Take it to about 185 internal, or when you can stick a fork into the flat and turn it easily. The longer you cook it at a lower temperature the lower the finishing temperature, USUALLY. I.E. if you cook it at 225 your finishing temp will usually be a bit lower than if you cook it at 275.[p]Hope this helps, give an email or post back here, I'm not at the egg fest, unfortunately, and will do what I can to answer questions.[p]Troy
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]Yep. 250 Dome is about 225 at the grid. It's always worked great for me. Combined with an E-Temp Pit Minder, it works great!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]The hell with Stump, he'll have to get behind me . . . on second thought I don't think that's a good idea at all! MShark, RUN, GIRL, RUN! The pervs are out in force. Hehehehe.
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    brisket1.jpg
    <p />Sundown, here are two I did the other day. A pair of 9 pound flats . Cooked at approx 240° for 10 hours, pulled at at an internal temp of 185°.

• sprinter
    Options
    Rumrunner,[p]That one on top looks like a whole brisket, point and flat? Not trying to be argumentative and I'm sorry if I'm incorrect but I've cooked a LOT of briskets and that looks like a whole one, not a flat. The portion on the top right of that one brisket on top is the point. The flat sits below it and to the left. My mistake or is the picture decieving me? Again, sorry for any confusion but I dont want anyone getting the wrong idea about a flat vs. a packer cut, or a whole brisket.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Certainly is a pretty looking pair of briskets though, whatever they are. Hope they tasted as good as they look.[p]Troy
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    sprinter, they did ;) and check your email