Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What did your table cost?

Options
bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to build my own table for my newly purchased Large BGE.  What is this table going to set me back?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options

I spent $114 on materials not including the casters ($25 of that being deck screws).  Since then I've been adding on small things like hooks, bottle openers, etc.  I justed used pressure treated lumber though, nothing fancy.  It is super heavy duty though, 4x4 legs, 2x4 frame, 1x5/4 decking boards. That also includes the paver for the egg to sit on, and the 16x16 tile I countersunk into the top surface for hot items.

Frank

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Hey Frank, 

any pics of said table?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2011
    Options

Mine cost me in the neighborhood of $600 bucks - but it has a lifetime 
    guarantee, just like the EGG!  ;)
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Langdale
    Options
    I spent about the same as FxLynch using basically the same materials. Used 2 (stacked) 12 x 12 floor tiles rather than the 16". Stained it with same stain left from staining a picnic table I built earlier in the summer.
  • FxLynch
    Options
    I don't have any great pics but here are some taken with my phone.

Since I used pressure treated wood, I'm not going to be able to stain it till next spring due to drying time. I have lightly sanded the edges to take away sharp corners, but plan to do a good sanding before staining.

Frank
    imageimageimageimage
  • SimmonsFamily
    Options
    Great job With the wood work! How long did that take you to build?
  • SimmonsFamily
    Options
    Hey Choke, that's a pretty nice pit/bar. What did you top it with and did you do it yourself?
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words
    I bought the Egg on a Friday, bought materials on Saturday, and started building on a Sunday.  I had it done by the following Friday. Probably 8 hours Sunday, 3 hours total during the week, then 8 hours on Friday.  I don't have a shop, I only used a Skill Saw, drill, and Jig saw to build it.  Had to build it on the floor of garage as I didn't have any saw horses or workbench...talk about a pain in the back lol.

I also didn't have any plans, sort of finished plans as I went.  I got ideas from the net, but dimensions I just pulled out of thin air.  It's 65" long, 29" wide, and not sure on the height...about like a kitchen counter top after the casters were on.

It helped having the motivation that I couldn't cook on the Egg till it was built :)

Frank
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Hey Choke, that's a pretty nice pit/bar. What did you top it with and did you do it yourself?
    Thanks.  Yup, I built wood forms for the top and 2 "shelves" and my neighbor and I poured the (2") concrete. Those suckers weigh a ton but will "weather" the Wisconsin climate for years to come.  The bricks came from Menards and are put together with a brick glue.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• hoppy
    hoppy Posts: 16
    Options
     I was lucky enough that when I bought my egg back in 2006, the dealer added a 4' foot long pressure treated table for $ 225.00 without the casters. I didn't need the casters, since the egg stays on my back deck under my aluminum roof awning. Sounded cheap enough to me at the time for me to place the new egg in to at the time.
  • talltrevor
    Options
    I shelled out about $1000 for my table as my wife told me if I was going to buy an egg, it couldn't just sit up on a couple of blocks.  I reluctantly (wink) said OK.

This is it as it sits now.  In the spring I'll build the cupboard doors, paint it and have a swinging "menu" sign hung behind it - so I can swing it and clip it up over the egg when it's raining.

Trev

I love my egg.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I didn't spend over $100 for either of my tables. They are very plain though but sturdy. I used 3' stainless deck screws everywhere. The smaller table is nice because the mini comes out for camping.
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Choke, that is truly a fabulous result. Next spring I plan to be a copy cat.  I was surprised to learn you built the forms and poured the top.  Great work.  Did you have to put reinforcements in the top? I may need to get you to visit Kentucky to supervise when I build mine...I'll promise to take you striper fishing.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Choke, that is truly a fabulous result. Next spring I plan to be a copy cat.  I was surprised to learn you built the forms and poured the top.  Great work.  Did you have to put reinforcements in the top? I may need to get you to visit Kentucky to supervise when I build mine...I'll promise to take you striper fishing.
    Thanks for the kind words, appreciate that.

Let me start out by saying that I had never worked with concrete, bricks or laying a patio in my life. It was completely "learn as you go".  I used 3/4' melamine board for the forms and sealed the cracks with silicone.  Then poured in Quikrete countertop mix for the 2 piece top and 2 "shelves".  The only reinforcement I used was in the concrete piece where the EGG is.  It was a 10' piece of 3/4 rebar bent in a "U" shape.

I posted a step-by-step of the whole project here:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1120136&catid=1#

p.s.  I have no idea what "striper fishing" is but it sounds like fun to me!

Packerland, Wisconsin

• paulheels
    Options
    "p.s.  I have no idea what "striper fishing" is but it sounds like fun to me!" Alot better than Pike fishing, we call Pike Jackfish down here.  

I will take you Snipe hunting and gator hunting if you come build me a table.  We could even do some frog giggin.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.