Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

TURKY

ricktannerricktanner Posts: 24
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
IM WANTING TO TRY A 12LB TURKEY ON MY BGE,HOW LONG SHOULD I COOK IT AND DO I USE THE PLATE SETTER,ALSO SHOULD I PUT A PAN OF WATER UNDER MY BIRD,HOW DO I SEASON MY TURKEY WITHOUT GETING FANCY,AND LAST WHAT TEMP?
·

Comments

• SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    Lots of recipes under 'Poultry'
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
    Spatchcock it.  Cooks in about 2.5 hours (pull when breast is at 160-165).  The picture is of 15lb turkey on a large egg. 
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,777

Hi JLNC-

Been egging for almost 10 months now and am a spatchcock chicken convert-much easier and less messy than a beer butt chix and better tasting.  So, I have decided to spatchcock the turkey for Thanksgiving.

Only challenge I see is getting the backbone out-any pearls of wisdom?? I have a hatchet sharpened and ready if necessary.

Louisville
    ·
    edited November 2011
    A nice sharp pair of kitchen shears is really the trick here.  Just flip it over and cut down one side of the back bone and then down the other.  You're left with a strip of back bone that is around an inch wide.  You can throw the backbone on there for a chef's treat or use it for stock/gravy.

After you cut out the backbone, flip the turkey back over and push down--- you'll snap the breast plate and it should lay flat.  I use herb butter and slather it under the breast skin and on the outside. I don't baste and the skin comes out like you fried it--- you can baste it if you'd like.  I also don't use smoke for a thanksgiving-esque meal.  

I think the shape lends itself to having the breast and thighs done at the same time.  

By the way, I cook at 350 --until breast hits 160-165. 
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,777
    Many thanks for the suggestions.  I'm sure it will turn out fine-been weber (charcoal then gasser) cooking the T-day bird for about 30 years-haven't had to go the audible with a pizza yet:)
    Louisville
    ·
  • How Long at 350?
    ·
    For a 15lb turkey, it took just about 2.5 hours.  
    ·