Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Felt Gasket

Options
SLMWinds
SLMWinds Posts: 17
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
So while using my egg for only the second time I got it up too hot searing steaks and when I opened it the felt gasket fell off and into the fire pit. Is that something that is expected if you get up too high? How high can you go before you melt the glue?

Lastly, what do I do about replacing the gasket? I assume my local egg dealer probably carries a replacement but I was doing some reading on the forum and it seems like there is a bit of an art to successfully installing the gasket and that there are a couple different options for gaskets you can use. 

Any help getting my egg back up and cooking is appreciated!

Comments

• Lumpa Coal
    Options
    I would replace it with the new nomex gasket.  You can find helpful videos at http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    My two cents worth:
    Gaskets are needed if the top and bottom don't fit tight 
    Gaskets are needed if you want a cushion when closing top
    Gaskets are needed if you're OCD and want everything like it was when new
    Gaskets are overrated
    Gaskets take up too much attention that can be spent on having fun cooking

Kent Madison MS
  • SLMWinds
    Options

Thanks for the input. I have no issues going without a gasket but am I going to be able to hold the temperature just as well for smoking meat 20+ hours? I would think at low temperatures not having a gasket would impact your ability to hold steady for long periods of time.

Should I decide to replace the gasket, what options should I consider? Until this morning I didn't even know there were other options. Please let me know what you guys use and what you think of it. Thanks again for the help!

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    If your egg is that new, call the factory they should send you a high heat replacement at no cost. You will have to purchase the adhesive and acetone.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

I just read my warranty ... it says gaskets are not covered!

Maybe I've got the Canadian version, we're used to being screwed by everyone ....

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Gato
    Options
    If your egg is that new, call the factory they should send you a high heat replacement at no cost. You will have to purchase the adhesive and acetone.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Options
    They sent me a new one. And alot of others.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    hmmm. I have had my XL for 2+ years now and have had it north of 600 a couple of times but mostly low/slow  and an occasional 400-450... so far, my gasket has not had any problems.

• 392joe
    Options
    I burnt mine up the first burn also.
    They sent me a new one to. I haven.'t put it on yet.  Like BBQ maven I am not sure its worth the trouble. 

I would love to hear some other,,"experienced "eggers  opinion.

PS,,, I was very satisfied with BGE customer service,  They were great!!
  • Gato
    Options
    I'm definitely gonna install my new nomex one. My new table should be done in a week or two and I'm gonna do it then since I will most likely be pulling the dome off anyway.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • banzaitoyota
    Options
    My gasket is toast and I can smoke at 200 for 18 hours no problem
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I wouldn't waste my time with any gasket but a Rutland.  You put it on once (bottom only) and you're set for a very long time, if not forever.  It cost me $13.00 for the gasket and $6.00 for the tube of Permatex Ultra Copper.
    Done.  Never have to worry about it at ANY temperature.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Austex_Egger
    Options
    Agree with the Rutland.  I've only had mine on about a month,  but love it.

My Gasket burnt after about 3 months.  I was considering going gasketless,   but with my egg there was just too much air getting in the gap.  I could not hold a low temp (250 would creep up to 300+) and one time it did not shut down (closed the vents,  put the rain cap on and the next day the egg was still warm and all the lump burnt).

I ran gasketless for probably a month.  After installing the Rutland,  the temperature dynamics have changed.  It can hold low temps with no problems now, but I've had to adjust my vent settings for various temps as they have changed.

Try gasketless and see if it works for you.  If not,  go with a Rutland.