Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help - Need to "Square" My Dome and Base

Papalikes
Papalikes Posts: 25
edited November 2011 in Off Topic
Anyone know how best to align the dome with base?  Mine is off kilter and I don't want to fry the new gasket I just installed.

Comments

• Lossen the bands. align the lid. tighten the bands.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • I did loosen both bands, square the lid, then retightened both. After a few "opens and closes" however, the lid was once again off-center.
  • bghiii
    bghiii Posts: 25
    Awesome video. I watched some of his other Youtubes. Does this guy have a website?
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited November 2011

Same here....I try and try and the dome still backs up approx 1/4" Irritating but doesn't impact anything as best I can tell.

Also, unlike in the video, my dome doesn't move that far forward and back using the wrench on the hinge like his and certainly not as easily.  

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • The bolts in the lower band should be tightened.

Only the bolts in the upper band should be loose.

Now you should be able to move the lid back and forth with the wrench

• I can FINALLY call this project done.
    Following the video (which was perfect, by the way), I tried to square the dome with the base on the front. Side to side was good, but front to back needed attention.
    The problems came when I went to loosen the top bolts that are part of the compression band that secures the dome to the base (there are two round-headed bolts that run horizontally). Since they are square-headed bolts, that fit into a square hole on the bands, the band would twist when I went to loosen the nut. I after slightly bending the top band out of shape, I ended up using a hacksaw to cut the bolt to prevent further distortion to the band. I figured the same would happen to the bottom band, should I ever have to adjust it as well, so I decided to replace both of the compression bolts.
    A quick run to Lowe's, and $3.11 later, I replaced both compression bolts with stainless steal, hex-headed bolts. I used two adjustable end wrenches to re-true the band, a washer between the flange of the bank on each side, a lock washer next to the nut, and my BGE is back in business.
    Still a TINY bit off-center, but not enough to cause any worry.
  • In hind sight, this project was not "Done" as previously mentioned. After cooking some steaks, another pork shoulder, and some beef ribs, I found that the dome had once again moved position.
    Then, while baking this year's pecan pie in my BGE (Chocolate, Pecan, and Bourbon Pie - recipe in the Big Green Egg Cookbook), it hit me like a lightening bolt.
    When the egg gets hot, the metal of the compression bands expands, causing the hinge to settle under the weight of the dome, when the lid is open. This minor "fall" of the hinge and band in the back, then casuses the dome in the front to "pull" toward the rear. Solution - tighten the bands when the egg is hot, which will cause them to be even tighter when cold (and when the metal shrinks back down). I did so, and the dome hasn't moved since.
    I am sure this is nothing new to many of you EggHeads, but I felt like a Big Green Genius when I figured this out.
  • Thanks for sharing.  I can't seem to pass the dollar bill test in the front of my egg to save my life. I've taken it apart...changed the bolts...replaced the seal....etc.....still leaks a little smoke.

• When I called BGE Support, they told me that the gasket was never intended to make the body air-tight. They said, more than anything, the gasket is to act as a "bumper" between the dome and body (preventing damage to both if the dome should slip from one's hand and slam down on the body).
    Not 100% sure that I embrace that perspective, but it is worth mentioning.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2011
    When I called BGE Support, they told me that the gasket was never intended to make the body air-tight. They said, more than anything, the gasket is to act as a "bumper" between the dome and body (preventing damage to both if the dome should slip from one's hand and slam down on the body).
    Not 100% sure that I embrace that perspective, but it is worth mentioning.
    If that is true, then they must have never intended the egg to reach higher temperatures.  Because as soon as you turn up the temperature (steaks, pizza, etc.), bye bye "bumper"!
    Packerland, Wisconsin