Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest Wheels Leave Black Marks on Pool Deck

ed
ed Posts: 2
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
I keep our egg on the pool deck and the wheels are leaving black marks wherever I store it.  Has anyone had this problem?  Does anyone have a solution?  Are there better wheels available in the aftermarket (or from Green Egg itself)?

Thanks - Ed

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited November 2011
    I keep our egg on the pool deck and the wheels are leaving black marks wherever I store it.  Has anyone had this problem?  Does anyone have a solution?  Are there better wheels available in the aftermarket (or from Green Egg itself)?

Thanks - Ed
    I don't have a nest, but from what I recall when seeing them in the store, I believe the wheels are hard plastic. If so, and, I'm assuming your pool deck is concrete, then of course they're going to leave marks, as those type of wheels are not meant for concrete.

I haven't looked at how the wheels attach to the nest, but my ASSUMPTION is that they are traditional black hard plastic casters, probably the type w/ the threaded rod (as opposed to the mounting bracket). If that is the case, then screw one out & take it to your local hardware store & match up the diameter & thread pitch of the threaded rod & get a set of neoprene casters (these are sort of "rubbery" and typically are gray in color).

Those are meant for concrete & won't leave marks.

HTH,
    Rob

UPDATE: Just found a set online - though, these are slightly different than what I was talking about (these ones say they are polyurethane, and they are red in color). But, at any rate, what you need is something more "rubbery" and less "hard plastic." Something along these lines should be what you are looking for:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001989/22733/3-Caster-Double-Locking-Swiveling-with-12-Threaded-Spindle.aspx

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • " If so, and, I'm assuming your pool deck is concrete, then of course
    they're going to leave marks, as those type of wheels are not meant for
    concrete."

If this were even remotely accurate then my garage floor and driveway (both made of concrete) would be absolutely covered with black marks from rolling my eggs around in the nest with OEM wheels.  They're not.

Sorry dude, I guess I didn't spell out EVERY SINGLE assumption I made - I pictured in my mind a concrete deck, and most pool decks I have seen, are VERY ROUGH concrete, not polished (I guess to keep ppl from slipping when it gets wet).

That being said, I also didn't say that EVERY SINGLE wheel being pulled over EVERY single concrete surface would mark. This ONE PARTICULAR person was having an issue w/ it, and it's only logical to conclude that if you drag hard black plastic over rough concrete, there stands a pretty good chance you might leave some of the plastic behind. Just like if you sit on the concrete bare-a$$ed, and have your friend take your hands & pull you along the concrete, you'll leave parts of your a$$ behind (perhaps you can try this to be sure).

The advice I gave was that they do indeed make caster wheels that are specifically designed to NOT mark up surfaces like concrete, which is what I gave to him in the link.

Furthermore, if you go to:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

And type in Item #: 2460T84

You will see that this type of caster is called "nonmarking" and is made of polyurethane, and is SPECIFICALLY designed for: Asphalt, Brick, Ceramic Tile, Concrete, Hardwood, Linoleum, Steel

If your wheels don't mark - GREAT FOR YOU. Obviously the OP isn't as lucky as you. But thanks for providing him w/ absolutely NO useful information to help solve his problem!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited November 2011
    The "conclusion" was formed based on the only information provided, and the assumptions which were made. Also, an anecdotal incident I had w/ wheels (not on the Egg, mind you), marring a surface. Actually, those same hard black plastic wheels were left unattended on a heavy object for quite some time, and then when said object was eventually moved, 2 of the 4 wheels had formed a "flat spot" from sitting too long.

So my experience w/ the black, hard plastic wheels has been less than satisfactory. Personally, I tend to upgrade to better quality wheels. That's not saying everyone needs to.

Anyway, left w/ only the information given, his problem was that the wheels were making marks. However, you could be right - perhaps 1 or more of the wheels are "sticking." However, nit-picking ONE statement I made, which, admittedly, probably was a bit too "broad" and not very well thought out, isn't doing anyone any good.

At this stage, I don't know, nor care, "why" they are leaving marks - they just "are." And because of that, I provided a solution. You, on the other hand, provided smart a$$ criticism.

Even w/ your total of 9 posts, only TWO have actually had some sort of constructive tone to them - every other one has either been criticism, smart a$$ comments, or otherwise combative!!

Please provide your GREAT & WONDERFUL experience of all things Egg on this board to help your fellow Eggers. Unless you're just a troll looking to pick an internet fight because you feel you are some sort of "keyboard commando."

Either way - I provided a solution, and ALL posts to this thread that you have made, STILL have NOT. I think that speaks VOLUMES for all those who read this.

Have fun w/ your trolling.

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited November 2011
    ^^ and still yet no helpful advice. Whether what I posted was an actual solution which he will use, or just a suggestion - that's still leaps & bounds over what you have offered - which is combativeness.

Keep on trollin (probably somebody well-known but too much of a chicken-$hit to actually post under his more popular handle).

Internet bullies like Priapus offer no real advice, solutions, or help - all they offer is critique, combativeness, and negativity - in a sad, pathetic attempt to make themselves look powerful or knowlegable, most likely as a response to their own failures and lack of any power in their offline lives.

Mr. Priapus - if you have such knowledge, then please just share it. Otherwise, whether you have 9 posts, or 900 - you are looking like a troll, a bully, a trouble-maker.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited November 2011
    "I will henceforth stop calling people names like troll, bully, and chicken$hit"

If the shoe fits...

Also, that was not unsolicited - if you'd actually comprehend the things you're saying to ppl, you'd see that your abrasiveness & combativeness are provoking such reactions (though, I know that's what you were wanting all along anyway). This is yet ANOTHER technique of a bully - they provoke ppl to the point of response, then try to play the victim, and cry crocodile tears that someone actually responded to their taunts.

Oh, and yet AGAIN - BTW, where's your helpful advice, oh Egg-master? - yeah, that's what I thought...
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited November 2011
    At least I offered a suggestion. And no, the DIFFERENCE here is that most folks on this forum are helpful - you are NOT.

FWIW, most responses to most things are from folks who aren't considered "experts" on the subject.

Ask 10 people the "best" way to make a burger, and you'll get about 8 different responses - different suggestions of meats (for those who actually suggest to grind your own meat vs buying pre-ground), different seasonings, different temps, etc, etc, etc.

That doesn't mean that the asker of the question has to listen to & abide by those suggestions - but it could perhaps light a fire in their brain to help them. Maybe my suggestion could do that - maybe not. At any rate, again - what have YOU done to help this person????????????????

As such, your PATHETIC attempt to skew this conversation has only further shown your TRUE intentions. For that, I am sorry to the OP that his innocent question has been hijacked by someone who gets their jollies from trolling on internet message boards w/out offering anything helpful in the least.

Also, your pathetic attempt to try to deflect any "not so kind" responses from me has also shown that you are trying to sway & influence the conversation.

I refuse to allow that & will continually point out the TRUTH - MOST of your posts to everyone you've posted to have been combative & have exhibited TEXT BOOK internet trolling behaviors - PLAIN & SIMPLE.

You can whine & try to play the victim all you want, but it will simply not work. You are not here to offer advice & help, you are here, as evidenced by the majority of your posts - to cause trouble. If this is the case - then I hope Eggzilla Jr. sees the percentage of helpful vs hurtful posts you have contributed, and acts accordingly.

Sorry, but fake crocodile tears don't work on me - you get no sympathy from me pal...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    re: "the majority of your posts" and  " hurtful posts you have contributed"

FWIW, he was very hurtful to me, too. even more than that squeezy guy who used bad words to me in a P.M.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited November 2011
    but I HAVE had experience w/ cheap hard plastic wheels leaving marks.

And no, I'm not all "puffed up" because you (think) you "called me out" - What I'm concerned about, and I AM upset that you, and folks like you, find joy in being combative & bullying... and trying to bring this forum down.

And to further show you to be a liar & a bully, I'll counter your falsehood & yet ANOTHER attempt to manipulate, deflect, and skew the conversation:

Priapus the troll somehow managed to drool from his keyboard: "I'll oversimplify this since you are missing my point entirely. I choose not to offer advice because I don't know the cause of his problem. " - ummm, that's great - but that doesn't explain ALL YOUR OTHER POSTS which have also exhibited the same combative behavior. NICE TRY...

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. - you sir, are a bully, a liar, and a manipulator... PLAIN & SIMPLE... and w/ that, I am done sweeping the floor w/ the likes of you - you cease to amuse me anymore.
  • I'm with stike.  There are a lot of very nice people on this forum.  I'm a newbie and stike ond others have been very helpful.
  • "And the Lord said, Let There Be Lulz."

Good to see Internet Tough Guys on a BGE forum. Ridiculous.
    http://choiceofga.com 1000+ Tables & Counting… Direct From Fayetteville, GA "It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools."
  • ed
    ed Posts: 2
    I really didn't mean to cause all this garbage to be posted and actually, if my post had been read correctly, you would have seen that the problem arises NOT when the egg is moved but when it is stored, meaning in one place.  And actually the pool deck is painted, not raw concrete. I like the idea of softer wheels - I'll check into that.

And let's try to keep the invectives out of this discussion - thanks.

Ed
  • Ed, first off, you didn't "cause" it - a troll did.

But, you are 100% correct regarding the "garbage" that has been spewed here - I, for one, apologize to you for allowing myself to be lowered to the level of those who wish to revel in that type of nonsense, thus hijacking your thread.

When I allow myself to get into these situations, I think of it of like eating McDonald's - you might think it's a good idea while you're doing it, but once it's over, you look back & regret it ;-)

As far as your issue - I do not know if the softer wheels will fix your problem (I hope they will), but at least it is a suggestion to hopefully get you on the right track.

In fact, going back to re-read your original post, you actually asked "Are there better wheels available in the aftermarket (or from Green Egg itself)?" - and I answered that in my first response, so my suggestion should NOT have been an issue or used in a negative light, as you indeed did ask for alternative wheel suggestions.

As you can see from the rest of this forum, MOST people are here to help, but like w/ most things in life, you've gotta separate the wheat from the chaff.

Please keep us up to date on what the problem actually is, and which solution you find!!

HTH,
    Rob
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363

Y'all PLAY NICE!

Isn't that in the forum rules?

Why would a company put wheels on a product that would mark up concrete?  Even POOL DECKS?  Aren't many/most Egg dealers also POOL stores?  I think those wheels are a mistake and possibly defective wheels.

BOB