Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting BGE

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing a Mem Day weekend gig w/ family about an hour up the road. Have a truck & plan to take egg. Other than strapping it in tightly, any tips/tricks/horror stories on transporting egg?

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    amh,
    Always pull, never push. 2 folks is a lot better than 1 when moving them.

• usa doug
    usa doug Posts: 96
    amh,
    Go buy a #2 metal wash tub. It has two handles and the large egg will fit nicely in the tub. It travels well and you will have handles to grab when you load and unload.[p]I cut a rectangular hole in the side of the tub so I can use the bottom vent without taking the egg out.[p]I store the tub (inverted) on top of the egg. It keeps the rain out.I also leave the egg top vent open and the bottom vent open. This allows air to circulate though the egg which keeps it dry and free of mildew. [p]I call this my Alabama egg stand.[p]Doug

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Tahoe.jpg
    <p />amh,[p]I built Egg Transporters for my Large and Small. They work great in the back of my Tahoe or a pickemup truck.[p]What size are you transporting?

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Egg_Transporter.jpg
    <p />amh,[p]Here's a picture of it. I'll get you the diminsions for it later today. I though I had them, but they are for the small.[p]It's easy to make and Home Depot did all the cutting for me except the round hole. Notice the position of the 2x4's. It's very stable and works as a table afterwards.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister,
    I slot mine for easier loading (and cutting with a jig saw). I put the slot side towards the side of the vehicle to secure the egg in place.[p]I used 3/4"x2'x2' pre-cut oak plywood on the shelf from Lowes. (2) pieces of that plus a 2 x 4 and the whole thing was less then $30.

Doug

• Smoked Signals,
    Oh ... one more thing ...you can turn it over and set the egg on it. I nice stand for the egg as well!

• GrillMeister,[p]Thanks again for posting this. I had asked about it a week or two ago. I have since built one for my new small. I will post pics of it (hopefully soon).[p]It's first outing was at the Cedar Creek Volunteer Fire Department Cook Off. That thing travel amazingly well in back of my truck.[p]Brews,
    Matt.

• GrillMeister
    OK,[p]As with Smoked Signals, I started out with two 25"x25" sheets of 3/4" plywood. I had them cut a 2x4 into 4 pieces 12 1/4" long. The circle in one sheet of plywood is 20 1/4" in diameter. I pre drilled each of the 3 holes to prevent splitting and I used 2" screws. Before I screwed it together, I added a layer of Gorilla glue.[p]Mine does not have a slot like Smoke Signals for easy loading, so it takes two people to load and undload via gripping the egg just under the lip where the band is.[p]Never lift an egg by the handle or hinge. Bad things will happen.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Smoked Signals,[p]got any pics of it? I'd like to see the loading slot.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister,
    I'll see what I can do when I load up for a contest next weekend.[p]Doug