Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Newbie Question: Smoking a whole chicken

Options
StanTheMan
StanTheMan Posts: 9
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest

Like others I would like to smoke a turkey this Thanksgiving.  Today I plan on practicing on a whole chicken.  I don't want to do anything fancy with seasonings and rubs just a basic chicken.

My plan is to set the plate setter legs up and then place the chicken on one of those horizontal racks with a drip pan underneath.  Questions:

Best cooking temperature?

Cooking time per pound?

Can I use just a basic throwaway foil pan for the drip pan?

What temp indicates the bird is done?

Suggestions for a mild seasoning or other basic things to do to the chicken before cooking?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• StanTheMan
    Options
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    edited November 2011
    Options

Like others I would like to smoke a turkey this Thanksgiving.  Today I plan on practicing on a whole chicken.  I don't want to do anything fancy with seasonings and rubs just a basic chicken.

My plan is to set the plate setter legs up and then place the chicken on one of those horizontal racks with a drip pan underneath.  Questions:

Best cooking temperature? 350º to 380º

Cooking time per pound? Most chickens about 1½ hrs.(for the whole bird)

Can I use just a basic throwaway foil pan for the drip pan? You bet!

What temp indicates the bird is done? You want about 160º in the breast & 175º in the thigh

Suggestions for a mild seasoning or other basic things to do to the chicken before cooking?

Thanks in advance.

Seasonings are wide open ... lately I have enjoyed Dizzy Pig's offerings ... quite nice!

I would put some liquid in the drip pan so it doesn't dry out which you could use for gravy if you like...

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • StanTheMan
    Options
    Thank you  very much!
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Stan,
    Put some spacers between the drip pan and the plate setter to keep the drippings from burning.
    Kent Madison MS
  • StanTheMan
    Options
  • paulheels
    Options
    People seem to like my birds when seasoned only with cracked pepper and large salt, sea salt usually. I cook at 275-300, internal temp of 180. Check temp in a couple places in the breast and the nooks of the dark meat.
    You are gonna look at 1.5 hrs a pound, that is approximate, for the turkey.
    I do not worry about the drippings. I also don't brine, marinade or inject. That is all personal preference. Experiment and see what people like and what you like.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • kiwi 1
    Options
    Hi there I am smoking a turkey breast tonight as a test run pre thanksgiving I am using a temp of 230 on the bge with plate setters and allowing 12 hours for an eight pound breast does that sound resonable to you?
    thanks Charlie