Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hours/Pound for Small Butts

MattMatt Posts: 143
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hi All --

I've got two small (3#) pork butts that I'm going to smoke tomorrow. Obviously, I cook to temperature, but I'd like a guess as to how long these guys will take at 225-250. Usually, I smoke whole shoulders for 20-24 hours when I make barbecue, but I'm just cooking small butts to make a few tacos for tomorrow (with de Arbol chile salsa and sliced red onions).

Thanks.

Matt
·

Comments

• These are probably roasts, I am guessing.  If so then around an hr an lb.  If bone in, it will be a little longer, but not much.  I always figure what I "think" will be enough time and add a couple of hours,  it is my personal way of not falling behind.  Next time you just want to do a small amount of pork, try a half Picnic.  Personally, I think this cut produces a better textured meat than the Butt Roasts and is more tender. 

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
    ·
  • MattMatt Posts: 143
    Thanks for the tips. I get my pork from a local (albeit still commercial) producer and have always been happy with their quality.

"Heels" wouldn't by any chance be of the Tar variety, would it?
    ·
  • Yeah Tar Heels it is!
    ·
  • MattMatt Posts: 143
    Big game today! That's why I'll be here cooking all afternoon -- gives me something to do during commercials! I'm a professor at State, but my wife went to UNC ('93). We'll both be pulling for Carolina today.

Are you local?
    ·
  • Nice.  You married a smart woman!  Go Heels!

·