Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting the Egg

bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
I just bought a Demo Egg from the Plano Eggfest.  What is the best way to transport the Egg safely to my house?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• hoppy
    hoppy Posts: 16

I would ask the event people if they kept the box that the egg came in and dismantle the egg. Make certain to tie-wrap the spring loaded hinge prior to loosening the bolts and removing the band, Rember how all the pieces fit in to the egg while disassembling it. Place all the pieces in the boxes and place in the back of a pick-up truck. Securely tie down the boxes and drive home. 

Reverse this procedure once you get back to your house. Keep the spring loaded band tied until you completely assemble the egg. Good luck with your first cook-out.

• Make sure the lid is securely shut.  Bring blankets and padding of any sort, and make sure your egg is secure from atleast four points of contact to the truck.  If you do not think you can accomplish this safely,  do as Hoppy says.  But that is alot more work.  haha
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    thanks guys.  I was not sure if i needed to disassemble any of it or if i could just transport it whole.  I am going to secure it in a trailer, so i should be fine with plenty of padding.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • when I moved mine all I did was to make sure that the innards were removed and packed carefully, then I laid the whole outer unit in the back of the car one a dog hammock and it was fine