Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Woo3 or plate setter or....

johnzmjohnzm Posts: 7
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum

Hi,

I picked up my new egg at the Eggtoberfest (which was excellent) and now as I'm starting to use it for more and more things, I am starting to look for something to expand/increase its abilities. first and foremost I need something that will allow me to do indirect cooking. but of course if there is something available that can do more with less $$$ invested I would want to do that instead. I was looking at the Woo3 because the package deal with the pizza stone is a good bit less than the plate setter, and  (from what I've read) it will do just as much if not more, and I'd have a pizza stone out of the deal as well. 

anyways I was hoping someone could give me some of the pro's and con's of the plate setter vs the woo3, and if there anything that might be better, or equivalent and cheaper than these items for expanding the cooking abilities of the green egg.

·

Comments

• LitLit Posts: 3,551
    Woo for sure. You can do indirect and raised cooking then.
    ·
  • johnzmjohnzm Posts: 7
    Will I be loosing any functionality over the plate setter by getting a woo3? is there anything else i should be looking at, that might be better than both of these?  

Also I am wondering if there is an increased chance of burning the gasket with the woo3 when doing high temp pizza's since it might put the stone closer to the gasket.

·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,551

Pizzas are going to fry the gasket no matter what you do if you have the factory felt one. If you don't mind spending money get the adjustable rig package from the ceramic grill store and you will get the spider also and another grate. The stone on the woo is pretty much the same level as the plate setter would be with feet up. http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/products/Large-Adjustable-Rig-Customer-Combo.html

·
  • JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
    I got the woo3 with the extender to put my pizza stone on.  This puts the stone a few inches higher than the felt line---a bit more up in the dome (you'll have to pull your thermo out just a bit as well).  I think you get better top heat this way, but you will still fry your gasket.  I fried mine, replaced it with Nomex, and then did my pizzas at a more reasonable temp---- 550-600 and the Nomex did just fine.  Honestly, if I had it to do over, I would have replaced the stock gasket with Nomex before using it the first time.

·