Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter question

Options
Squeezy
Squeezy Posts: 1,102
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum

It has been said that there are no stupid questions  ... so, bearing that in mind, I'm wondering if one was to leave their plate setter out in the rain, does it need to be dried before using, or will it dry without cracking in the egg while cooking?

BTW ... it hasn't happened YET!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I doubt it would crack. But I would wipe any surface water off. I leave mine on the self of my table. It doesn't get hit directly by
    rain but it does get damp and I've never had a problem. I believe it
    may take longer to bring the egg up to temperature if it is wet though.
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    edited October 2011
    Options

Squeezy,

I would go gradually, "Low & Slow" on the first cook, put the plate setter in as you start the fire, keep the temperature low to let the moisture escape slowly.

Do not stabilize the egg at high temperature for pizza before putting the plate setter in…

Marc
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited October 2011
    Options

Be careful and slowly heat it up if you feel it has taken on moisture.  We've had customers who reside inside San Francisco (foggy/moist climate) that have cracked a few platesetters upon heating them back up inside the Egg.  Once they take them inside for storage they have eliminated the problem.

Good luck.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Squeezy
    Options

OK ... I think if it does happen, I'll bring it in and put it in my oven on 'warm' for a couple hours to drive off any absorbed moisture.

Thanks for your input guys ....  

^:)^
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    You could always slip it in a trash bag to keep water off.  Just another idea.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Squeezy
    Options

... and a good one, except my problem is just remembering to put things away!

LIke yesterday ... I lifted the dome after closing the vents, carried in the food wearing oven mitts, coverd food with foil and totally forgot to go back out and close dome. Hours later, I go out to throw tarp over egg only to find the dome open and hot embers still going.

So, my problem is not so much how to keep it dry ... it's to remember to do so ....  

:-j
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Once you replace a few platesetters you may start to remember.LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Squeezy
    Options

Oh .. don't say that!

My pension won't allow for that!

Memory will improve as long as I can keep focused on $$$  

:-&