Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fine tuning temperature

Options
Skkyhawke2
Skkyhawke2 Posts: 8
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
Roasted a pork roast last night. Wanted to do it long and slow. Trying to get fire control expertise so I can eventually do a beef brisket.
Have a LRG BGE and had the daisy wheel completely closed. Had the bottom draft opened only about 1/2 inch. Had build the fire accordingly to all
the instructions here.
Point being I could never get the fired any lower than 225. Naturally raising the lid for basting didn't help matters either. 
As of now,  I can't afford a Stoker or DIGI QX.
Suggestions to hone in on that long slow low temp cook?
Many thanks.

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Never ever close the top completely ... there are several reasons for this. The bottom can be as little as an eighth of an inch. 225º is perfect for a low-n-slow

So .. what is the problem?

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options

I believe what Squeezy is saying is that you had the right temp for low and slow so all should be fine.  Here's a bit of info that I did not know on my first couple of cooks and it has made a difference; generally all cooking temperatures mentioned here and other BGE sites refer to calibrated dome temperature.  In the low&slow range (200-270+/-*F) the dome temperature will initially be 20-40*F higher than the grid temperature. The longer you go with the top closed the less the difference but this difference can impact estimated cook times (always finish to temp) if you have prior non BGE experience.

The whole fire/temperature deal works on air (oxygen) flow.  Thus the need for some opening top and bottom.  Good reference information at www.greeneggers.com Forum page-left hand box and two links titled "BGE Quick Reference part 1 and 2."

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skkyhawke2
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. Apparently was mistaken. Thought 200F was the magic number.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Most of my low and slow cooks are at 250.  If you are doing it at 200 and are trying to get your meat to 200 as well, it will take forever. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Skkyhawke2,
    My advice would be this based on you original post:
    1.) Read everything you can about how to control the temp of the EGG.
    2.) Learn what the temp the egg should be at for given meat.
    3.) Learn what temp the internal meat should be when finished.
    4.) MOST IMPORTANT: get a instant read thermometer.  Always cook to temp, not time.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    All good advice here. the only other thing I might add is to make sure your thermometer is calibrated.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I'm just/still learning too, but I've found the following works for me.  I start with a pretty small amount of lit charcoal about 6-8 inches across and then close lid.  Adjust the bottom vent to about 1" and top wide open.  Once dome temp hits 150-175 I close bottom vent to about 1/4", top vent to 1/4 open, and watch real close for the temp to stabilize.  If I'm low, I'll open bottom some more, high close it some more.  Bringing temp down is way harder than bringing it up.  As well last night I went over temp by quite a lot.  Putting the plate setter in "cold" brought the temp down from 300 to 250 pretty quick.  My dome temp is also about 20-30 degrees higher than grate temp, so I factor that in as well.  Once I get my 250'ish temp I got my 225-250 grate temp and am good to go.  Keep experimenting and we'll both get the hang of it together:)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario