Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Remote Temp probe

Options
yumdinger
yumdinger Posts: 255
edited October 2011 in EGGtoberfest
Curious to know which remote temp probe you all use.  Which are most accurate?  Best Value is always important?  I am going to be buying one soon and I value the input you all give on this site.
Thanks.

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    2nd on the Maverick ET 732, love mine.
  • yumdinger
    Options
    Thank you, if you have the Maverick then where does the Thermapen type thermometer fit?  When is one better than the other?  
  • Greygoose
    Greygoose Posts: 103
    edited October 2011
    Options

i purchased a Oregon Scientific AW129 of ebay for under 30 bucks. it may have been last years model cause the new picture looks different. I find it to very accurate and its wireless so i can bring the main unit inside where its warm while it outside doing its thing.  the damn thing actually speaks to you when meat in "almost done" , "done", and "overdone". I would have  bought a maverick if this thing wasnt available so cheaply. 
    Greygoose

• bschroed
    Options
    I just got the Maverick ET-732.  Amazon online has for 59.99, and if you apply for their Amazon Chase Visa, they credit you 40, so it came out to $19.99 and no freight. 
  • yumdinger
    Options
    Tweev I know how they differ physically,   Wireless units I am guessing are best for longer slower cooks or bigger hunks of meat..... So often I read DONT OPEN the egg during a cook.  Ok so if I am not to open the Egg then how do I take the temp with the themapen?
    It seems like the Therma pen is very popular and yet so too is the instruction to leave the egg shut.
    Therma pen = good for burgers wings/chicken parts, chops and steaks?  
    I currently have the BGE knock off therma pen.  Based on my experience with this product I can understand how a faster reading probe would be beneficial.  The BGE version takes FOREVER, seemingly, to get to a consistent reading.  

• brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    My WalMart has one for $16 that I just got I compared it to my calibrated gauge that I have for work, it was right on, now to see how long it lasts...

I guess if your a professional cook you would probably want something better but for me this should be just fine.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas