Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Coconut Charcoal

Oakville EggOakville Egg Posts: 27
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
A few days ago I picked up a 10kg box of Charcos for $25. This is a coconut charcoal. I wanted to try to make some beef jerky. I had the DigiQII and was hoping to keep a long slow burn with it.  The coconut burns clean so food can go on right away. No need to let the smoke clear out.
The little pieces of lump, I would almost call them pellets, were placed in the bottom of the egg. I used about 15 pieces I stacked them like a pyramid so there would be good air flow. Lit the top one with a propane torch, set the DigiQII to 165, put the meat on, closed the lid and let her run. 14 hours later when I got home from a concert I took the meat off. Great stuff. Surprised by the remains in the Egg. Still pieces of the 15 left. The three pictures to follow show the brand I used, the remains of the day, and the jerky.
If you  find the stuff give it a try. Or don't.
Charcos1.jpg 367.1K
Ash1.jpg 472.8K
jerky1.jpg 538.8K
·

Comments

• LDDLDD Posts: 1,225
    Very cool. Also your indifference is funny :)
    context is important :)
    ·