Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On the Hunt for a stellar beef rub for Steaks, Prime Rib, or Beef Ribs

Papalikes
Papalikes Posts: 25
edited October 2011 in Beef

I bought my first Big Green Egg about six ago and have smoked or grilled everything I can get my hands on from seared steaks, to an 8 hour brisket smoke, to a 24 hour pork shoulder (my neighbor's tabby may be next). 

Feline roasts aside, I have been on the lookout for a good beef rub which is more garlic than cayenne based.  With two young daughters and a spouse with a delicate palate, I am forced to either leave the spicier rubs behind or eat left overs for days and days.  

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited October 2011
    I have used this rub for many, many years. For my kids and for the grands it's past the test.

McCormick Steak Seasoning

1/2  cup           Lawrys seasoned salt
       1 1/2  tsp           garlic powder
       2      Tbs           onion powder
       1      Tbs           dry mustard
       1      Tbs           ginger
         1/4  cup           kosher salt
       2      Tbs           Coarse black pepper

I use it on everything. It is a little salty.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Leftovers for days and days ain't a bad thing!!!!!
  • Great call on the rub!  I used it on some filets that were among the best I have ever had.

I had a couple of 1 1/2 inch thick steaks at 600 degrees for 3 mins, flip, 3 more mins, then 2 and 2.  After reclining for 5 mins, they were perfectly medium-rare and juicy.

May try to reduce the salt next time around, but I am one happy camper.
  • GrannyX4
    I'm glad it worked for you. It is great on beef but I have been known to throw it on pork too when I get lazy.
  • Visit the BBQ Pit Boys Site. They have quite a few rub Recipies on their site. They even had video tutotials.

http://www.bbqpitboys.com/sauces_marinade_rubs.html
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • It's hard to beat the Bobby Flay steak rub for strips or ribeyes.  Put a heavy coat on both sides, crank up the egg, and cook 2-3 minutes a side.  Great crust and juicy dark pink center.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    if you ask a bunch of old timers who grilled and Q'd before all the rubs hit the market, they'll suggest just kosher salt, cracked black pepper and granulated garlic in equal portions for beef.  t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • pa
    pa Posts: 2
    tjv is right - the simpler the better - salt and pepper should be fine
  • bigdtd
    bigdtd Posts: 32
    The Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub and Dizzy's Red Eye Express come to mind as two of my favorites on steak.
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Pepper, salt, paprika, garlic granules. First three are equal parts. And then half of measure for garlic. Ex: 1 cup pepper, salt, paprika. Half cup garlic. I also make it with no garlic.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    thanks for the rub recepie it was delicious!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • http://www.southernflavor.com/   

I use original southern flavor on my steaks. It is great stuff.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Ingredients<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    1 tsp. granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    4 tsp. kosher salt
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    4 boneless rib eye steaks 1 1/2" thick
    Directions
    rub 1 1/2 Tbs. of mixture all over each steak. Grill to desired doneness

I tried this on some Ribeyes and there were great. It's a keeper for me.

I bought my first Big Green Egg about six ago and have smoked or grilled everything I can get my hands on from seared steaks, to an 8 hour brisket smoke, to a 24 hour pork shoulder (my neighbor's tabby may be next). 

Feline roasts aside, I have been on the lookout for a good beef rub which is more garlic than cayenne based.  With two young daughters and a spouse with a delicate palate, I am forced to either leave the spicier rubs behind or eat left overs for days and days.  

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • If the Ribeye is an above great piece of meat, I put a little salt and a little cracked pepper.  For me, that is all a really good piece of Rib needs, the meat and fats create most of the flavor.  From my experience, people expect so much seasoning on steaks, they never get to appreciate the natural flavors.  

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I agree with Paul and that's how we usually do it with a little granulated garlic added. We saw the espresso recipe and it sounded different so we gave it a try. The favor of the meat is still there with a little extra kick from the rub.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • One of my favorite ribeye recipes is subtle but delicious.  I believe the recipe is from the Capital Grille.

Get a nice, thick ribeye (or several) - I like about 1.5" thick or so (bone in or out, doesn't matter).  Get some dried porcini mushrooms at the store and pulverize them in a coffee grinder so you have porcini mushroom "dust". (You can actually buy this at some places, but it's ungodly expensive and you can make your own at a fraction of the price.)

Salt and pepper the ribeye and then cover with a generous coat of porcini dust.  Fire up the egg to high heat.  I usually do around 600-650 degrees.  Cook the steak ~3 min per side for medium rare.  Remove from the grill and let rest for 10-15 minutes.  Return to the grill for ~30 seconds per side to "Flash" heat the meat.  Remove from grill, slice and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

Eat.  Enjoy.
  • llj
    llj Posts: 8
    Grannyx4, tried tour rub on a tri-tip. It was the best tri-tip we have ever made. It's nice to have a really flavorfull rub that's not based on that demon cayenne pepper. I didn't understand the McCormicks steak seasoning notation. Is your rub a copy of that or are you adding some of that to your rub also. If so, how much, although I though it was fantastic without it.
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited February 2012
    I was messing around one day and took some store-bought Montreal and mixed Emeril's Essence and a bit of cayenne into it for a kicked up Montreal.  Love it.  Can't remember the proportions, just do like you want
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • GrannyX4
    Ilj,

Mccomick steak season is just how I have it listed in my cookbook. I have used it for years and is still a house favorite and I make it just like I have listed. I always rub the meat down the night before I cook and sometimes even longer if it's a standing rib roast. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Best steaks ever - prefer filets - follow the directions on the bottle - sprinkle Sea Island Salt - brush olive oil lightly - throw on 650+ egg for 3 mintues, flip then 3 more minutes - show down vents and flip once more - about 5 minutes to med-rare.  remove from egg, pat of butter on each steak, rest 5 minutes then get after 'em!

http://seaislandsaltworks.com/
  • I like Char-Crust and so does my family.  Not overpowering, but puts a nice crusty coating on it.