Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Start a fire properly. Struggling to get my fire hot

Options
ididitdeville
ididitdeville Posts: 1
edited October 2011 in EGGtoberfest
Please let me know details of how to get the temperature hotter when starting the fire with an electric starter. I may not leave it in long enough
Do u close the top with lighter in charcoal?

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Leave the dome open and also the bottom intake vent. You should have a nice start in 10 to 15 min. then close your dome, set the daisy wheel and intake vent to whatever temp. you are looking for.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then  squirt a little alcohol in 4 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center.  Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match.  The warmer the day, the more  it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash.  In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I start with dome open at first, then close it with DFMT off and lower vent open.  I light in 4 places with a MAPP
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Been using wax starters Since I bought my large BGE 3 months ago. Saw the comments about alcohol so I just lit it up with rubbing alcohol. Talk about getting it done fast, almost can't believe how easy and quick that is. Are there any downsides? If not then I'm gonna be an alcoholic (rubbing that is).
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    The Looftligter seems to work well enough. I have had my over a year and it lights fires like a champ. The only downside is having to run an extension cord. The other great option would be a MAPP torch.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I have no problems getting 700+ using the electric starter.  Just use larger lump at the bottom of the fire chamber, take the DFMT off the top, and open the bottom vent wide open.  If you promise to stay near the egg, also open the bottom screen.  The larger lump at the bottom allows more air intake.

Keep the lid open while the starter is in the charcoal, and don't keep the thing plugged in longer than 10 minutes.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I disagree with Squeez.

If you have the dome wide open - or the DFMT off you have all the air that you need.  You actually want to heat the dome (which is a big heat sink) so you may as well have the dome shut.

I like the alcohol method too.  I just wish I could find it cheaper than $5 for a 1/2 liter.

Seems kind of silly to spend that when an oily paper towel will do the same job.

If anyone is going to disagree ... that would be you!

The guy just wants to get it started ... plenty of time to warm up the dome after 10 min. sheesh!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • hoppy
    hoppy Posts: 16
    Options

I've been using the wax sticks since we purchased the egg five years ago. I use three sticks broken in half and place stratigically in the the center of the lump charcoal. Light up the the sticks with the grill removed, and leave the sticks to completely burn until the flames go out, and place the grill back into the egg. The lighting of the egg is done with the top open, and the bottom vent wide open. Once lit, close the top with the daisy wheel half open. Close the bottom vent until there is a half inch opening.Wait until the inside of the egg reaches 225 F -250 F, and place in the meat.