Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Caring for the BGE and Smoking

Mrs LenickMrs Lenick Posts: 29
edited October 2011 in Poultry

I want to smoke a turkey for thanksgiving and it's my first time doing it.  It's got to be pretty big, maybe about 25lbs. How long will that take and what should I do?

Also, I opened my EGG today and it had mold all over the grate and even in some of the felt areas.  I quickly cleaned it up and fired up the EGG to burn off anything else.  I let it heat up as high as it would go to be sure it got everything. I never had that happen to me within any other grill.  I think it was because I left the ceramic cover off.  Did I do the right thing by burning everything off?

Comments

• Oh, I just saw that several of you had responded to an earlier post about smoking the turkey and gave me the link for the MadMax Turkey. Thanks so much. I will definitely research that and try a bird beforehand.  Thanks so much to all of you responded back to me on the 4th.

• Yes, you can burn off the mold.  The ceramic can get damp and hold moisture which encourages the mold.  I've found that having grease/food on the grates encourages it also.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Also, I forgot to remove the cast iron lid and put the ceramic lid back on and I think moisture got in that way, because of some rain we had.  Will it help if I put the lid up a couple of times a week or if I buy one of the BGE covers?

• Use your egg more! LOL
  • No kidding!  I definitely will. Especially with Thanksgiving and Christmas approaching. I was just so surprised. I'd never seen that before.