Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking turkey upright

Options
wera274
wera274 Posts: 9
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hi, everyone. This will be our first Thanksgiving as egg owners and we are looking forward to cooking the perfect bird. We have the Sittin' Turkey contraption and were wondering if anyone has cooked a turkey using this method on a large egg. I found a couple posts on here that suggest that there isn't enough clearance, but we measured with the lid closed and there is 11" from the top of the Sittin Turkey to the top of the dome, which seems like it would be sufficient for a medium-sized turkey. Everyone on here seems to be using other methods. Can you give us some advice on whether or not this will work?

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    I'd measure the length of the turkey. are you putting the contraption on the plate setter?
    context is important :)
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Practice with some chickens. I have practiced so much lately the husband and I thought we were going to start clucking. We decided on the spatchcocked turkey indirect is what works the best for us. A lot of eggers like the mad max method.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

I used a turkey cannon with great success.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-TKYC-Turkey-Cannon/dp/B000GEBYQ4

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • wera274
    Options
    Yes, we were planning on putting it on a plate setter. We have done several chickens in this manner and they are pretty close to perfect, but just wanted to hear about other people's turkey experiences.
    The more I read about the spatchcocked turkey, the more it seems like it may be the way to go. JLNC, we are fairly new to the Egg community (received it as a wedding gift in May); what is a Woo3? Is it difficult to remove the backbone from a turkey?
  • Squeezy
    Options
    I added the backbone to the neck and innards to make stock ... no waste!
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    Options
    This is my first  sat it upright and did just fine!!
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • Squeezy
    Options
    Good color on that 'roof rooster' ... nice job!
  • DougQ
    DougQ Posts: 30
    Options
    I've used the Sittin Turkey many a time directly on the plate setter in a drip pan - fits fine. Just go easy on the smoke - a turkey will absorb anything and it can easily overpower the bird.

I will mention that in addition to spatchcooking, a large egg can handle 4 turkey breasts. Brine the breasts, use the plate setter and grid and add chicken broth to the drip pan on the plate setter. You'll have lots of happy people later.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    wera274, I have cooked many whole turkeys on the large using the Spanek vertical roaster and the place setter.   Most were in the range of 12-14 pounds and I have never had a problem.  In the past I have done breast up with ice down breast, but this year I am going to do the turkey butt up on the roaster a la Little Steven's butt up chicken procedure.  This should even out the cooking between the dark and white meat and negate having to ice down the breast.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx