Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket

Options
cajundave
cajundave Posts: 4
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
How long does the 5/8's flat Rutland gasket need to be for an XL BGE. 84" sounds like its just big enough for a large. I'm guessing 110" would do. 

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    The recommended size for an XL is 9' (108"), so you were right on.
    When I did my XL, I only used about 8', but you don't want to come up short!
    Better to have a little more than a little less.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• cajundave
    Options

The installation instructions show that you remove the dome. Is this necessary? It seems like it would only serve to make removal of the dome gasket easier.

Also, it looks like you only place the replacement on the surface of the base. Is that correct?

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yes remove the dome and yes just the bottom gets the Rutland.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can leave the upper dome on if you want.  as long as you can scrape the gasket off decently enough.  no need for OCD cleaning of either surface by the way. just enough to remove any substantial residue.  the permatex will grab anything.

i literally ripped off the old bottom gasket and squirted the permatex around the rim with no trowel or anything.  pressed the gasket in, trimmed it, and shut the dome. done.  that was three or four years ago.  no issues with the permatex.  first high heat burns (call it 800 or so) maybe a little fuming, but after that, nothing.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I removed my lid when I put on my Rutland because it's as simple as can be on the XL.  Just loosen the upper carriage bolt and lift off the lid!!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• chrisnjenn
    Options
    Like Stike said, there is no need to remove the lid.  Easy to scrape off gasket with it on anyways.