Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 zone fires in a BGE XL

Options
SmoothSmoke
SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
Can someone help this newbie out?  Can someone post photos how 2 zone fires for direct and indirect are set up in the xl bge?  Specifically the grate set up.  I know you can use fire bricks to separate the coals.  Is their a way to lower one half of the grate like the competitors model that shall not be mentioned by name? Thanks!

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Yes, see this discussion for a couple suggestions:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1135064/soon-to-be-egg-owner-questions#Item_2

It seems to me that there are those of you who have previously cooked w/ a "2-zone" setup. Although you can make a setup for the Egg to do that, I think it's a different way of thinking about the problem. Rather than making 2 "zones" - you can create 2 or more "levels" of cooking surfaces w/in the Egg.

The temp @ the coals is obviously hotter than the temp where the cooking grid is placed, and that temp is different than the temp higher in the dome - thus, there are effectively THREE (3) zones of cooking, as opposed to 2.

I provided a "cheap & dirty" way to achieve this, and Lit provided a fancier way. Either way will work.

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    The ceramic grill store sells the Angle L brackets which seem to offer the most elegant solution to splitting the XL into two zones.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/anglebrackets.html

You can also get the Woo2 and a half moon stone. There are a lot of options for multiple zone fires in the XL.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-woo2.html

2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    On an XL, the lump reducer acts as decent "2 zone" setup.   On a direct setup, the center provides the direct heat and the outside "ring" is indirect heat.  For example, I'll put the hamburgers in the center, and the corn on the cob and the potato wedges around the outside.  The hamburgers will get charred and the corn and wedges will roast perfectly.  Works for me.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• alabamaegger
    Options
    What's a lump reducer...just gettin' started eggin'?
  • SmoothSmoke
    Options
    Thank you everyone.  I'm doing my homework and hope to have an XL in the coming months.  I just hope that I can do everything on it.  direct/indirect/sear/smoke etc.  Sounds like I pretty much can, but with accessories. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    What's a lump reducer...just gettin' started eggin'?
    Keeps the lump in the center of the egg & allows you to use less lump.

Mine looks like this:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    several ways to create a two zone cooking area in the xl: corral the lump, use a (half) stone or vary the grid height.  It just depends on what your cooking and how much.  

Good example is the spatchcock chicken cook pictured.  lump burn is corralled.   chicken can go directly over the lump to crisp skin and/or moved off to the side to roast.  go one step further and have the breast end of the bird farthest from the lump to help keep it moist.  dark end of bird can handle heat better.  check the drippings in the foil, another option for those who do not like the dripping, burning fat on lump smell or taste. 

Lot's of ways to play in the xl!    t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SmoothSmoke
    Options
    You're the man TJV!   That's the money shot, great setup!   I do something similar on my weber kettle using fire bricks instead.  

How many racks of st louis trimmed ribs can you fit on the XL?