Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
Newegg2011
Newegg2011 Posts: 10
edited October 2011 in Beef
Looking to cook my first ever brisket and I have heard to have a tender brisket that after you have gone thru the low temp smoke phase and to achieve the best results you have to wrap the brisket in saran wrap and tin foil and to continue to cook with a dome temp of 220 until done.

Has anyone had success with this method or is there a better method to produce a tender brisket?

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Google bubba Tim and brisket. Probably more info than you need but a good read and the best brisket I have ever done. Get a full packer not just the flat and it's more forgiving. Also search for burnt tips as that is the best part of the brisket and a good way to cook it. Burnt tips come from the point.
  • Newegg2011
    Options
    Lit
    Thanks for the info! Is broker the same as flank as I have never seen any meat at the butcher advertised as brisket.
  • Newegg2011
    Options
    Sorry brisket not broker, crazy thing thinks for it self.
  • Lit
    Options
    No flank is way different. The brisket has 2 parts the flat and the point and is a garbage meat if not cooked correctly. It's a hard cook that can come out great once and you can do the exact same thing the next cook and it comes out dry. Tell the butcher you want a packer or brisket with the flat and point.
  • Newegg2011
    Options
    Thanks very much!!...........I'm very excited to give it a go, I bought the XL BGE a month ago and it has stolen the spot light, my normal BBQ or my traeger pellet grill gets no use any more. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!
  • Lit
    Options

I was posting from my phone before. The first picture below is a 13 pound packer going on teh egg. There is a thick fat vein that runs between the flat and the point (In the picture the vein starts in the top left and runs across to the bottom middle that you can see the indent in the pic). Once the brisket is done at 190-195 degrees you pull it and seperate teh flat and the point and wrap the flat and put it in a cooler and let it sit for an hour and cube the point and cook it longer. I cook mine in a skillet and add a little beef and brown it at medium high heat. More pics below. A brisket is a tough cook and I would say start with a shoulder (Boston Butt) first and build up. If you are going to do a brisket choose the one that bends the most. Pick it up by one end and you want it to fold over. Cook at 250 dome until it reaches 170 and then wap in foil and cook to 190-195 when the probe goes in with no resistence it is done.

• Newegg2011
    Options
    Lit

So to summarize 250 at the dome thermometer will allow for the heat at the grill to be ? Also the cook time is about 1.5 hrs to each pound of brisket. Should I have a second thermometer at grill to get the temp just right. I bought my brisket today and it is a 12pm AAA packer.

What state are you from!!
  • Lit
    Options
    Just keep the dome temp at 250. The grate temp at the beginning will be 220-225 but will get closer and closer the longer the cook is.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    looks like good eats :)
    context is important :)
  • Newegg2011
    Options
    You bet 250 it is, what's the deal wit the yellow mustard and is it the same as you would put on your hotdog or should it be dry mustard mixed with olive oil.
  • Lit
    Options
    From the earlier post I am from Georgia. Its yellow mustard like you would put on your hot dog. Its not for flavor it helps to hold rub on and create bark on the meat. Some use it some don't. I do just cause I always have. When you are done make sure you wrap the flat in foil, put it in a towel, and then put it in a cooler to rest for atleast an hour. Cut into 1/4" slices across the grain.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Just to clarify one point. The original post mention wrapping in saran wrap and foil and continue to cook.  DO NOT wrap it in saran wrap and continue cooking the brisket unless you like melted plastic on your meat.  You can wrap it in foil if you wish, but that does steam the bark and softens it.

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Newegg2011
    Options
    Thanks everyone I'm going to take all the advice and try it tomorrow. I will let you all know how it turns out.
  • Newegg2011
    Options
    Well my first brisket behind me and 12lbs and 18 hrs later it turned out great. Due to wanting to bring it to work I started it at noon on the Sunday and baby sat it all night long (1-1/2nd) of sleep it must of been a big hit due to the fact that it was all gone in about 10 minutes.

Thanks to everyone that provided the green egg direction !!!!!