Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a recipe for bologna as in lunchmeat & grilled bologna

badbruce
badbruce Posts: 353
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum

Greetings Everyone,

It's been quite a while. I Googled a bologna recipe for sandwich meat, also grilled & thought why not go to the pro's from Dover (from the movie MASH).

If anyone has a good one it'll be them.

Thanks all & glad to see ya.

Cheers,

bruce

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    If you search the forum for loney I'm sure you'll get more you could have ever dreamed of:)
    context is important :)
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I never understood why anyone would want to eat bologna and/or Spam after childhood?

I even have a tough time with a hotdog these days ...

:-&
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    bologna is nothing more than finely milled pork with garlic and spices.  it's one of a thousand types of sausages, many of them similar (if not identical) in ingredients.  it's finely milled and ground, and emulsified, but it's a sausage at the end of the day.

not sure why people give bologna a wide berth. if it is because they buy the cheap stuff, then they deserve to suffer. same for hotdogs.  sub-par ingredients will yield sub-par results.  conversely, the best ingredients will give you something fantastic.

buy some true mortadella, and maybe you'll be surprised. that's bologna....

kielbasa is not at all significantly different than bologna, for example.  many of the same ingredients. 

i never understood why people carry prejudices about food, or are unable to expand their thinking a bit beyond their comfort zone.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I just get it cut at a deli about 1/2 inch thick for as many slices as you want.  Cut the edges in about six places so it doesn't curl up on you.  Put a little rub on it and then grill it at 350 until it is warmed through.  Cube it up and serve with some ketchup.  This is a great tailgate food.
  • LDD
    many similar ingredients... but some different ones.

when bologna comes up it's usually in reference to the "cheap stuff".  it's not a far stretch to see why people carry prejudices towards it.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Prejudice is for the simpleton. I can't abide those with limited abilities to look beyond the end of their nose

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • LDD
    choosing not to eat foods laced with chemicals and words that require a degree to pronounce would be considered enlightened...

context is important. blanket statements are dangerous
  • I just get it cut at a deli about 1/2 inch thick for as many slices as you want.  Cut the edges in about six places so it doesn't curl up on you.  Put a little rub on it and then grill it at 350 until it is warmed through.  Cube it up and serve with some ketchup.  This is a great tailgate food.
    That's disgusting.
    Don't knock it until you try it.