Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any wiggle room with different dealers?

AthensM50
AthensM50 Posts: 19
edited October 2011 in Forum List
Hey Guys.....I am in the market....and stopped to look at some eggs today....I will build my own table so I am just looking to buy a L egg.....dealer just would not even wiggle on the price???....$849.00......are they all that way?.....or  do I just need to find another dealer?

No bag.....no ash tool.....no grippes...no not one thing.

any advice?

Thanks,

Athens

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    That's high. Demo eggs at Eggtoberfest are $710 for the large with a nest Saturday. Roswell hardware is advertising they are honoring Eggtoberfest prices so I would give them a call. Also the ace hardware on Holcomb bridge road usually has good prices and thats probably my favorite egg store around to spend money. Always been helpful and they have dizzy pig.
  • Think these guys are just high.....as I was walking out the door...I asked how much a big green bag of lump was....$26.95...that seemed high as well.......

maybe I can find another store in Huntsville, AL......

What is "Dizzy Pig"????

710 large with a nest....sound like lot better that these guys.....and he was talking like "all of us dealers are the same price...$850"....what a goob!

• Lit
    Dizzy pig is a popular rub. Your post said Athens I thought you were in Athens Georgia so all the stores I said are in that area. If you go to biggreenegg.com in the top left there is a dealer locator where you can find all around you. Just start calling around and see cause I'm not sure of prices in Alabama.
  • Athens, $850 for a large is essentially list price and you will probably find most dealers sticking close to that price.  But it does seem a bit stingy not to toss in something small on the side.  However, my dealer, who is the best dealer you can imagine, didn't discount or toss in extras, so go figure.  The Eggfest price is super, of course, but needless to say, it is only available at an Eggfest, the Egg has been used usually, and you may have to travel some distance to get to one.  Comparing dealer prices to Eggfest prices really isn't a fair comparison.  So I wouldn't call a dealer charging list price high, just following the BGE corporate line.
    The Naked Whiz
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948

Between 3 dealers in Columbia SC, one was cheaper and threw in extras.  It helps to call around. 

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Retail is the starting price when I was looking a few years ago.  I waited and waited and finally got an XL for 850 (sale price) and did it on a tax free weekend.  I also purchased some accessories at 10% off too.  I got lucky and saved quite a bit.  Keep looking for a deal.  For the most part people working at the dealers would be willing to tell you if and when they have yearly or seasonal sales.  If they are tight lipped, move on to another store or wait till the EggFest comes close to you.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Hope this will make you guys feel better ... here in Canada a Lge Egg lists for $1099, nest is another $159, plate setter $80

I was reasonably lucky ... with our lovely 13% HST my cost for egg & nest would have been $1421.54

Got it for $1200 taxes in.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • No matter the cost. I am not upset with a single dollar I spent.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

.... and I'm not either ... just wanted to add some perspective on costs.

Only regret ... should have bought one years ago ....

8->
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited October 2011
    I'd like to add that a "lessons learned" for me is that it's not all about the cost either. 

When I decided to get the Egg, I went w/ a company that advertised that they were the cheapest price around, and would beat any competitor's price - so I went w/ them. 

They were an "outdoor" company mixed w/ a sporting goods company - they sold everything from Eggs and outdoor porches / pergolas, firepits, waterfalls, outdoor furniture, to hockey & inline sports equipment!!! 

What I realized, however, is that the care I received AFTER the sale is what soured me on this company.  His attitude was essentially:  "look, I gave you a break on the price of the Egg, now leave me alone!!"  - I couldn't get him to honor the warranty for a crack (actually had Smitty @ Eggs by the Bay say that if I ended up not being able to replace my Egg w/ this guy, that he'd honor the warranty for me - and I never even bought the Egg from him!!!) - anyway, after about a YEAR of phone calls, emails, etc - I just told him that I was driving down there w/ the base in my Jeep & that I was going to drop it off & pick up a new base - I didn't give him the opportunity to back out of it. 

He kept saying something about there being a different shipment of "warranty" Eggs versus Eggs that he would sell in-store - I didn't care - that should have been invisible to me as a customer - if he had to fight w/ the distributor over a warranty issue, that's HIS problem. 

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is - to me at least - the price is less important than follow-on care & having that "relationship" - because of his attitude, I've never gone back to him for any accessories or anything like that because I don't want to give him any more of my $$. 

So I'd look on Yelp, ask around, and research the dealers BEFORE making the purchase - you might pay a little more up front, but if the after-sale care is top notch, I'd be more interested in that - I don't wanna see someone else get the shaft like I did...

Just my $0.02!!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • You'll find that the price will vary from dealer to dealer. We sell the large for a much lower price year round.
  • When I purchased my large it was $675 and then 10% off any accessories I purchased at the time with a free bag of charcoal.  I bought mine early summer which was prime time for selling the grills.  I am in Colorado and did have to do some shopping around.
  • They have wiggle room. A friend of mine has a dealership. I bought my large egg for 550.00 and he threw in a nest . Don't but the egg lump. Royal Oak is the same lump and sells at WalMart for half....
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited October 2011
    They have wiggle room. A friend of mine has a dealership. I bought my large egg for 550.00 and he threw in a nest . Don't but the egg lump. Royal Oak is the same lump and sells at WalMart for half....

Nice friend because I know what the cost is for the dealers and your friend took a pretty big loss to sell it to you for that.  The OP nor anyone else can get that deal unless they have a friend as a dealer who decided to take a substantial loss to sell it to that friend.  No need to bring it up otherwise unless you want to brag.

OP:  I have 5 dealers in a 12 mile radius of my house.  2 would bargain and the one I chose was the best of the bunch.  Dealers have some wiggle room.  It just depends on competition and their willingness to bargain.

• Lit
    Last I checked in the beginning of the year a large with no nest was $649 in Georgia at 2 different stores I called I just called the Ace hardware on Holcumb bridge road GA and the large with a nest, gripper, ash tool, and bag of charcoal is $799. He said if I didn't want the nest I could get $100 worth of anything else for trade. $849 is crazy for a large with nothing. I didn't get exact prices but a friend of mine worked for an egg distributor and got a new large with a nest in the $500 range also.
  • I thought 850 seemed high....but just wanted to get some ideas for you guys...thanks!

I understand everyone needs to make a living...and I understand that sometimes you get what you pay for in customer relations....but $850...come on.......I am the kinda guy that if I feel you have givin me a fair deal....I buy from you again.....think most of us are that way.

Athens
  • Lit
    edited October 2011

This guy has a brand new egg for $500 if you drive to Georgia. Add says $350 but he raised it when he got a million calls.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/for/2656031836.html

• northtown
    northtown Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    They have wiggle room. A friend of mine has a dealership. I bought my large egg for 550.00 and he threw in a nest . Don't but the egg lump. Royal Oak is the same lump and sells at WalMart for half....

Nice friend because I know what the cost is for the dealers and your friend took a pretty big loss to sell it to you for that.  The OP nor anyone else can get that deal unless they have a friend as a dealer who decided to take a substantial loss to sell it to that friend.  No need to bring it up otherwise unless you want to brag.

OP:  I have 5 dealers in a 12 mile radius of my house.  2 would bargain and the one I chose was the best of the bunch.  Dealers have some wiggle room.  It just depends on competition and their willingness to bargain.

No need to be rude. I'm Not bragging and he didn't take a loss on the egg . Was just trying to let the person who started this thread know that there is room to play on pricing. I know everyone need to make a living but they can come down on the price to make a sale. SAMs Club has a large egg with the nest and side tables for 699.00 but if I understand right they don't carry the egg warranty because SAMs isn't a dealer.....