Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL BGE ?

Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
Wondering how everyone likes the XL BGE, when I purchased my Large, there were some saying the XL was not as efficient and cooked different, but again it was new and there were few reviews. 

My business is growing and although I have a great stickburner, I like to start the butts there, then move to the Large BGE to finish. Even with a double rack, I often have a hard time fitting 4 butts on there. 

I am looking at a stumps, but wanted to check the capacity of an XL BGE. How many butts can be cooked on these? 
I have a stoker and guru so could possibly run a couple eggs if I had to cook a lot. 
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• curious as to why you start butts on a stick burner then transfer to an egg

i haven't done it, but i'm sure i could fit 7 8-9# butts on my xl - 4 at the grid level and 3 on a second level

don't have a large but i would think 5 butts could easily fit on a large 3 at the grid and 2 on a second level

with a guru and stoker you would be in real good shape on both eggs - buena suerte with your decision
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • Pa_BBQ
    As much as I love my Egg, I love the flavor I get with my Meadow Creek TS120 reverse flow offset. 

I have found the best tasting butts come when I put them on the offset for a few hours then put them on the egg to finish. I am sure if I really wanted I could play around and get the flavor all by using just the egg, but I like playing with the offset too. :) One other thing is the double rack I have has a column in the center and the larger butts do not fit on it well, by cooking a few hours on the offset gets them to a size that fits well on my rack. I need to look at other racks. 

Sounds like the XL BGE may be the ticket. 

Sounds like getting 4 8-9# butts on the grid level is possible, which would be plenty for most cases and then with the two should be able to pull off 10 if I needed. 

I also just read where some do not use a second rack, just stack the butts on top of each other, if you think about this, and did it carefully this may not be a bad idea, a little less bark but not too much if you staggered them. 
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • Go big or go home. The design of the XL has improved a great deal over the years. Especially in the last revision. With all the multitasking and complex meals we like to cook, it's great to have a cooker that can handle anything you can throw at it.

I am pretty sure if they made a 30 inch cooker, someone would find a way to max it out. I'd hate to see how much that Egg would weigh in at.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Pa_BBQ
    Can you tell me when the last revision came out?
    I know a dealer that has one in stock and they ordered it in May of this year, would this be the newest version?

With the nest, would this be stable enough to load onto a trailer to take to comps if I wanted too?
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • the latest revision was a taller dome - similar to the large.  i would think he has the latest, but your dealer should be able verify.

the XL is a beast but i would think you could get it in a trailer

with regard to stacking, i have saw a pic a while back where they simply put a smaller grid (say 18-20") right on top of the lower layer (no nuts and bolts) and put the secnd layer of butts on the grid.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • The XL egg is also better for French bread and cooking on a wok. I find it much easier to work with the 19 inch wok over the 16 that is the max you can fit on the Large.

If you do a lot of large rib cooks for parties you would also benefit form buying the XL.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Pa_BBQ
    Picked it up today, what a beast. :)
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    I have no issues at all with my XL....on the other hand...I was given a small a few months ago....I'm having an awful time figuring that one out...totally different....GL