Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying a Display Model?

Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about buying a XL BGE to keep my Large company :)
I have one dealer thats a little closer that has a display model, and another that has a new in box, the display model was ordered in May of this year so I am guessing its the model with the rounder lid. 

The closest dealer is 50 miles, the other one with the new in box is 60 miles, but it takes the same amount of time to get there. 
I purchased my last egg from the one 60 miles away. 

Just wondered if there is any negatives to buying a display model, I also have to consider getting the beast back home. 

Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Is there a price difference? 
  • i would base the decision on:

which one knows the egg better - uses one
    which one you think would give the best service
    which one sells a bunch of eggcessories, rubs, etc.
    definitely the 60 mile run if the other is the older model

in the box out of the box shouldn't be a big deal - you can remove the dome, fire box and fire ring on the one that is assembled and transport
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • Pa_BBQ
    No price difference, and I have a crew cab 1500 silverado, do you think the assembled one would fit in the back seat once its broke down?

I know the dealer I bought from before sells a lot of accessories, but being 60 miles away does not get much accessorie business from me. I order those online. The thing is they are in opposite directions so not like I can just drive an extra 10 miles if the display is the older version. 

She seemed to be unsure of any changes so I will want to make SURE before I make that trip. I do want the newest version since I am so used to the Large. 
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • Make sure the display model is covered by the warranty.  I would expect it to be, but you might check.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Pa_BBQ
    she must have a cell phone with a camera.....
    Great idea, will see if she will send me a pic. 
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • Pa_BBQ
    edited October 2011
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    I would say the handle is the key.  Looks like the new longer lid handle to me.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    ... and the stainless steel grill, and the Tru-Tel thermostat.  All come with the 2011 model.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • looks like the new model dome to me but difficult to tell for sure.  can't go by the long handle - i have the long handle with the old model dome.

doesn't sound like a knowledgeable dealer if they don't know if it is new or old model.

might be a struggle getting the base through the door of your truck with two peeps on it - everything else should go through the door fine.  the base will ride fine in the bed with some cardboard to cushion it against the sides and a few bunggie cords to tie it down.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited October 2011
    That looks like the new one to me.

Personally, if I bought the assembled one, I haul it in the bed of the truck. I know the XL won't fit in the backseat of my F-150 (maybe your backseat is bigger).  I've taken mine to a competition this way.  Just pull the guts out and wrap in old blankets (so they don't bang around).  Then strap the egg (fully assembled) into the corner of the truck with some padding.  I put a grill glove between the lid and the base to ensure they don't bang together.  Again strap everything down tight and it should be fine as long as you don't go 4-wheeling with it!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I purchased a large one assembled by the dealer, they put the egg setting in it's nest in the bed of my Tundra Crew Cab 4X4. They rolled it towards the cab resting it against my toolbox, locked the wheels and put a moving blanket over it (loaned to me by Ace Hardware) and 3 ratchet straps. I drove 14 miles home with no issues.

If you chose to use my method, be sure to have the dealer remove the thermometer, before they ratchet it down :)  When I got home I discovered that they had cranked the strap down across the thermometer breaking the glass but of course they replaced if for free and learned a lesson in the process.
  • Pa_BBQ
    I got her home safe, building a table now. :)
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa.