Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

food saver

bghiii
bghiii Posts: 25
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
I've been considering buying a vacuum sealer(Foodsaver) but I don't know anybody that can give me pros and cons.

Comments

• Garlic
    Garlic Posts: 40
    We use one, cook multiple items at once and bag for later. Also use it for ground beef, ducks, fish, and the list goes on. The only problem that I have found is damp items can be a little tricky to get a good seal, but if you wipe the inside of the bag clean where the seal will be it helps a lot. Our neighbors liked ours so much they bought one also. Some items can be reheated without opening the bag keeps things really moist that way.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I use mine all the time. There is just the two of us and I shop Costco and repackage the meat. It's great for leftovers. I just made a turkey and package it up. One day we had turkey sandwiches. Another day I made turkey pot pie. I got a whole fillet of salmon and grilled it all and now it's been cut into nice size pieces for a salmon salad or just salmon and crackers for a little snack. I love the foodsaver as much as the BGE. I can't think of any cons on the foodsaver. In fact I'm on my second one.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I use mine all the time and wouldn't free meat or vegtables without it!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • I have also been thinking about a sealer - can anyone recommend a model they have that works good? Thanks for any input......

LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Why are you shouting?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    perhaps just enthusiastic :)

what models to people have? any that you're had issues with or should stay away from?
    context is important :)
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Good point!

I bought a 'cheap' one ... it's in tough shape but still useable. Seal-a-Meal

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Food Saver V3825 (attached) has been excellent for me, bought it at Costco just as I purhcased my BGE on the first nice weekend of 2010 in MN.  Comes with a couple different size bags and the marinade function is great - just learned it has multiple cycles if you let it run.  Haven't looked back on the purhcase.  There are some 8 oz filet's shrink wrapped ready for the next good meal.  
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • Why are you shouting?

Just wanted to be heard I guess.....

LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,078
    I have the Food Saver model V3460. Totally happy with it, no "cons" to report. In addition to vacuum sealing it also has some handy marinade features. Particularly like using the Quick Marinador accessory shown here: http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=7471

Last year around Christmas time Food Saver had some deep discounts. For example, the V3460 was 60% off. Might be on the lookout for similar discounts this year.

Kind regards,
    dbCooper
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    I got a Foodsaver "silver" ...200 bucks from Cabelas. Just got it in but my mother got one last year and she has had no problems. It has a hose attachment. Some are faster,some have a wider seal, mine will work off 12volt, other than that not much difference in models.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.