Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low Egg Temperature

Options
bschroed
bschroed Posts: 29
edited October 2011 in EGGtoberfest
I have had my  Egg for 2 weeks, and cooked on it quite a few times. How the heck can you get the temperature at around 200 degrees?
I have had the bottom vent cracked at about 1/8th to 1/16th inch, and the top vent practically closed, and I can`t get the temp lower that 280-300. 

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Cooking at 200 dome temp means the grate temp is around 170-180... are you sure you want to try to cook that low? Most Eggs will cruise at 250 forever. Other than cold smokes, never seen a reason to cook lower than that. 

Also, never let the Egg get hotter than the temp you want to run. If 250 is your desired cooking temp - sneak up on it. If you go over, real hard to get back down.
    Kent Madison MS
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I'd check the calibration on your themometer as well.  I got my Egg 2 days ago and the thermo was off quite a bit.  I did ribs and turkey breast at 220 no problem.  As stated above I started closing dampers at about 180 and opened accordingly.  Going up is/was much easier than trying to come back down.  My newbie experience.....so far:)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario