Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Tri-Tip experts in the crowd?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My butcher told me that there is no such thing as tri-tip, rather, it is something "these large chains" have invented to sell meat... He then offered me a large sirloin tip... is that the same thing? [p]I'm looking for something new to grill for Friday night... it can't take more than an hour or so (grill time)... will tri tip work? If so is sirloin tip the same thing as tri tip... if so, what size sirloin tip should I order to make sure I'm not looking at too long of a grill time. [p]thanks in advance.

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    One of the King's Men, time to find another butcher!! NO, Silroin Tip is NOT the same thing. It is part of the Bottom Sirloin and it's siblings are the Ball Tip and Flap Meat. Follow the link for more on Tri-Tip, inlcuding how to order it.
    Good luck,
    Rum

[ul][li]Everything you need to know about Tri-Tip[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    Thanks for the tip (and the link)... no pun intended.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    tritip3.jpg
    <p />One of the King's Men,[p]I agree with Rumrunner, time too get rid of him. A true tri tip is hard to find. I ask my meat cutter to vac seal and freeze when he gets a couple. I cook direct at 400 then slice thin.[p]Mike[p]tritip2.jpg
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Rumrunner,[p]How much should we expect to pay for a choice tri-tip do you think? [p]I know it won't be exact, but ball park would help...
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Mark Backer, it varies from time of year to locality. A 'good' price is under $4 bux a pound. Right now my wholesale is way over :(

• Big Jim
    Big Jim Posts: 50
    Options
    Mark Backer, It should be about the same price as the sirloin steaks. The butcher I get mine from has a higher demand for tri tip than the steaks, so its a buck/lb higher. Very tasty cut of meat. Jim

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    THe Costco in Kennesaw has them for around $5/lb if I remember correctly.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I usually pay 3.69 lb.[p]Mike

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I guess it depends on where you are, I'm in Ca. and have no problem finding tri tips, what is hard to find here is packer briskets. Wal-Mart will have them but not Costco or Sam's club here. Brisket flats are not cheap either. We need a meat bullet train so us egger's can send hard to find meats to one another. LOL
    Cheers,
    New Bob

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    One of the King's Men,[p]Rumrunner is so right. Ditch the clerk, find a butcher, then try some tri-tip, you will love it. A good Santa Maria tri-tip rub is:[p]3 tablespoons sea salt
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley (finely ground)
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper (medium grind)[p]FYI: The IMPS (Institutional Meat Purchase Specifications) identifies cuts of meat with a number. Tri-tip is the tensor fasciae latae muscle. The IMPS name for this is beef loin, bottom sirloin butt, tri-tip, and the number is 185C.[p]~thirdeye~[p][p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery