Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Upstate South Carolina Lump

Options
davejames0426
davejames0426 Posts: 105
edited October 2011 in Forum List
Any suggestions from anyone on where to find so different lump close to Anderson SC. All I have found and tried is the Cowboy coal, I have been an egg owner for about 6 weeks and cook atleast twice per week. I have had good luck with the Cowboy coal but I would like to do some comparing. Thanks for advice.
LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC

Comments

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Go to Walmart and buy Royal Oak lump. It is $6.37 a bag for 10 pounds and it is the same stuff as the Big Green Egg lump. Big Green Egg buys it from Royal Oak and repackages it. It is good stuff. No much ash and I have done over 20 hour cooks with it.

Kroger brand lump is the same as Royal Oak also and is $5.99 a bag (sometimes 4.99 on sale) for a 8.5 pound bag.
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    the wally world on 28 bypass had some of the Royal Oak last week.
  • donpatt2
    Options
    Cowboy at ace hardware on woodruff for $11.50 , 20lb bag
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    Cowboy lump is crap in my opinion. Look at the reviews. Every time I used it, it was horrible. Never again even if it is free.
  • SCGrizz
    Options

I would suggest stocking up on the Royal Oak at Wal-Mart if you have a place to store it.  I'm just up 85 in Greenville and the stores here don't carry it in the winter. 

• burr_baby33
    Options
    I'm a fairly new egger.  I've read a lot of posts about lump and while I have not tried it,a lot of folks are not impressed with cowboy.  BGE lump is pretty expensive and has a lot of small pieces and dust.  I recently read a post recommending ozark oak so I ordered 12 bags and they were delivered in just a few days.  Nice size pieces, very little dust,. good clean fire.  I use the my egg a lot so 12 bags will keep me in lump for two or three months,