Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL vs. Large Egg

bdempsey11
bdempsey11 Posts: 2
edited September 2011 in Forum Feedback
I was going to do the whole outdoor kitchen thing when I came across the big green egg. I think that I have officially abandoned the full outdoor with built in natural gas grill and am going to go with bge. I have 3 big parties every year where I grill out for like 80 people, beyond that it is just my wife and 2 young kids. Should I go XL for the parties or large and save cash upfront?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• For what my opinion is worth I have just been through the same dilemma and came down on the side of the XL.  Interestingly, the dealer I bought it through showed me evidence of his BGE sales and over 80% were for the XL.  I went with his advice paid the extra.  Sure he was a good sales guy but he has been in the business a long time and I can trust he will be there for me when I need help.  I trusted his advice and cannot wait for him to deliver it on Friday this week! 
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    XL is a good choice!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    If I had to do it over again, I would go with the XL.  Although my large has been up to the task for every cook....just would like the extra room.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • grilling for 80 people will be challenging if you have the xl or large.

if you are smoking, ie pulled pork smoked ahead of time and then apps and sides, for 80 people you can do it with either size.

are you installing the egg in an outdoor kitchen or looking at using it in the nest?

a large and small combo should be considered for either case (no much different compared to cost of xl - together they can handle the big crowd provided you are smoking instead of grilling, cooking at two different temps for the family is a plus, and you will be surprised how much you can do on the small for a family of four.

sorry for introducing another variable to consider - you are going to be over the moon whatever decision you make.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    going with the XL gives you options. you can scale down or use the larger cooking surface... but this is coming from the guy who either goes big or goes home.
    context is important :)
  • I had an xl and sold it. I decided I wanted the versatility of having a large and a small. I should of done that from the start, but thankfully didn't lose really any money getting rid of the xl. Much happier now. Plus with the adj rig and other toys I got from Tom it makes it that much better.

Good luck with your decision.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    80 people I would go with 2 larges minimum. What do you cook? You can fit 50 pounds of shoulder in a large at once and feed all 80 people pulled pork but I am guessing you have options for guests. You need 2 of whatever you decide large or xl or maybe one of each. 2 of the same size is best because accessories would be interchangeable and they are expensive. I have 2 larges, 2 smalls, and a mini. If money isn't a problem I would say design now for a large and an xl. You only have to have the xl 3 times a year so you can conserve charcoal using large the rest of the year. The xl is so much bigger than the large it will be a waste cooking on the xl for 2-4 people on a regular basis.
  • All the info is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking time to help in the decision process.
  • Had the same problem so I bought both use the xl for parties and large the rest of the time
  • You can always cook ahead of time for your parties, so size is not a big issue. However, I have a family of 5 and rarely have large parties and decided on the XL just for the versatility of having more square inches of grill space. Its much easier for larger pieces of meat and veggies because these items take up square inches. If I had a large, I would have to mess around with multiple tiers of grill grates for most cooks - The XL saved me time in this respect. The XL has caught up to the L with regard to versatility (adjustable rig, other solutions from the ceramic grillstore).

Some folks like having two because you can cook two completely different ways (i.e. direct and indirect) simultaneously.

Think about what you would be cooking and how you want to cook it! Good Luck!

• personally i never considered the large over the XL...bigger is better and if i had picked up the large i'm sure i would have been disapointed that i didn't get the XL
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    I hope one day the release a triple XL.
    context is important :)
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited October 2011
    Bigger in many cases might be better, but double of something is much better than just being restricted to one.

Having 2 Eggs is much better than having 1 Egg of any size. Much better for entertaining and cooking direct and indirect at the same time.

Glad I got rid of my XL and haven't missed it at all. Love my large and small combo.
  • I've just purchased a Large Egg but the store is coming back out since they didn't sell me the nest with wheel locks.  I have an opportunity to exchange the Lg for the XL for a few dollars more.  Here's my concerns, I'm a female and will be doing 90% of the cooking on the BGE.  Will the XL be too much for me to handle?  What about placing the grate on and off? I tried lifting the lifting the pizza stone in the store and it was really heavy (but I don't really expect to do pizza often).

We don't have a large family, but it would be nice to cook several things at once; especially if I'm doing ribs for folks to take home.  I want to gt the best value since I have this upgrade opportiunity before delivery tomorrow.  I don't know anyone here that has a BGE.  Please advise. Thanks!

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited October 2011

Sterling,

I don't think you'll have problems with weight of the grid.  My wife handles it just fine.  I use the BGE grid lifter thingy, it works nice for the stock grid.

I purchased the large size pizza stone for my XL, didn't make sense to me to have a XL pizza stone when I'll never make a pizza that big anyway (and it is cheaper!).  When I do pizzas, I put the plate setter on with the feet up, then the grid, then the pizza stone on top of that.

We have a family of 2 and I'd never trade my XL in for a smaller one.  I love it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I would go for XL I regret getting a large I should of went with XL!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • The XL had accesories to do direct and indirect at the same time. Go with 2 XL if you can afford it. Especially for the number of folks you're looking to entertain.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Thanks guys!  This really helps me to select the XL (Choke On Smoke -it also helps to know your wife is "handling it") and not be intimidated - I'll let you know how my 1st low & slow turns out!! 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Looking forward to hearing about your first cook!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Although I would like the extra space of the XL, I'm quite happy with the large and couldn't imagine cooking on a smaller one ... :@)
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • joe317
    joe317 Posts: 28
    I'm in a similar dilemma. I don't cook for that many people often, but I like to cook different things at the same time. I plan on going all in and buying 2 large eggs up front. I like to cook everything on the grill so having 2 large eggs will let me cook the meat early at a low temp and then start the veggies or other side dish later on the other egg. It will also let me cook a couple of meals at one-time on the weekend when I have a busy work week scheduled. I'm not sure if my logic makes sense, but I figure the cost of 2 large eggs is not much more than the cost of 1 XL. I'll be putting both in an outdoor kitchen so I won't have the extra cost of 2 nests.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Some days I cook all day ... fire is going ... bake some squash, set aside ... make some ABTs .... then whatever meat I have for that day.

All on one lg egg ...

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • For you all that are caterer's would your prefrence be 2 xl or 1 xl and a large combo?

Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • I have a XL BGE.  I was concerned it was too big when I was putting it together.  After I put it together and started using it, I am glad I went for the XL.  I have enough space to do a lot of cooking, especially if I am doing a party.  I don't regret the investment.

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    The XL is bigger
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    @mike8it this was from 2011 :))
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Wonder what he got now
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Have to love the zombie thread while half drunk on bourbon!!!
  • Go big or go home.  Get the XL and add a med later.  Just a great combo.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL