Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie ribs

Options
Greenlaser
Greenlaser Posts: 5
edited October 2011 in EGGtoberfest
Ok I need some adice. On ribs. Baby back...just got the egg and need to impress the family...baby back, spare ,beef...rubs, BBQ
Help!

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    I'm a newb with the egg too, but I've basically taken my experience with my Traeger and applied it to the egg.  Baby backs are very easy.  Give yourself about 6 hours for the cook.  Cook 3-1-1 -- 3 hour smoke, 1 hour foil, 1 hour finish.  For the 3-hour smoke, get the egg to about 250/275.  I apply yellow mustard to the meat side of the ribs, and add a favorite rub.  (Removing the membrane if you wish.)  Add a couple chunks each of apple and hickory.  Insert your plate setter legs up.  Add a drip pan on top of plate setter and put on the grill grid(s).  Just maintain 250/275, and don't bother opening the egg.  After 3 hours, remove the ribs, and wrap each rack with heavy duty foil.  Before sealing, add some apple juice to each package.  Return ribs to egg, and keep at 250/275.  After an hour, pull the ribs and carefully unwrap (juice is very hot).  Goop them up with your favorite bbq sauce, and return to egg for one more hour.  I bump up the heat for the last hour to about 300/325.  Remove, let rest for a bit, and impress your guests.

The above is the basic 3-1-1 method.  Works on most smokers, and is fantastic on the egg.  About that Traeger that I have...  It's a bit lonely, from lack of use, since I got the egg.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited October 2011
    Options

XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I do pretty much the same as above but stay at 250 the last hour. I also use apple juice/apple cider vinegar at 70/30 to pour in when I wrap them at 3 hours but i spray them every hour from start with the same mix. I use the drippingd from the wrap as the base for my sauce and after 5 hours I remove the plate setter and let the temp rice. I mop them and then sear them with the sauce I make from the drippings. Seared unseared below.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Removing the membrane is not an option for me ... I always remove it!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.