Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Ten Pound Butts on LGE at one time???

Options
Bayarad
Bayarad Posts: 313
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum

I am attempting to cook two ten pounders bone in on my LGE.  Planning on going at least 16 hours at 250, maybe 18-20 if necessary with plate setter for indirect heat, drip pan, and some apple and cherry chips for good measure.  My shiny new Digiq  was delivered this morning, and have read the 1-1.5 hour per pound rule as well as as many posts and articles as I could find.  I'm shooting for 250 dome temp and 190 or 195 internal temp. I am trying to figure out how to get them both on the grate at the same time.  Will putting them on their sides allow them to cook the same, or do they have to be flat to cook properly.  How about one overlapping the other.  I am reluctant to start hacking at one to jigzaw puzzle them on, and am interested in any thoughts anyone might have.  My hope is that they both fit without modification, but just in case...Thanks in advance for ideas and advice, as this is the fist time I've cooked this much meat and a party is riding on it!

Comments

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    edited October 2011
    Options

I have cooked 32 pounds at once. (4- 8 ponders) I had to use 2 grids. There is plenty of room. I could not find a pic of that cook, but here is 4- 7 pounders.

[IMG]http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr48/bob429/IMG_8393.jpg[/IMG]

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    @Kokeman: use the direct link option instead: your image below...

context is important :)
  • Bayarad
    Options
    Looks like I'm off tomorrow morning to find the raised grid unit!  LOL!  Thanks for the advice, and now I have an eggscuse to tell the wife I gotta buy another eggsessory, since its her party I am cooking for!  Muahahahaha!
  • Bayarad
    Options
    So far I've sold her on the Digiq, now a raised grid, I might have to cook for her office parties more often!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You can't buy any of those at a store. Looks like 2 are adjustable rigs from the ceramic grill store and the others are home made with 2 grates attached with all thread and nuts and washers. You don't need 2 levels just to cook 2 shoulders on a large I have cooked 2 8 pound shoulders on my small on their sides before. I prefer to wrap my shoulders in foil and inject them with 70/30 apple juice and apple cider vinegar when they hit 170 degrees and bring them up to 195 in the foil. Here a YouTube video of 2 bone in shoulders I did that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8U7aOqHbOk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Lit
    Options
    You can't inject them at the beginning or they come out soggy. When I inject them at 170 there's only a couple hours left.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

How does one pull pork and not even grab a piece to try ... whazzup with that?

What temp is your injection? If it is lower than 170º, it will add a lot to the cooking time ... yes?

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Lit
    Options
    I usually pull and inject and wrap in the 165-170 range. The injection is warm so I don't think it really affects it especially since it is getting wrapped. Wrapping any meat I think makes it finish much faster. I take the drippings from the foil and freeze them to get the fat off the top and then use whats left as a base for my sauce. I usually wrap my briskets also and once tried unwrapping it at 188 and let it finish for a little to get the nice bark back. I unwrapped it and put it back on quickly and the temperature started dropping quickly. I never got the brisket back over 190 because I was afraid of drying it out. I don't think I have ever done a should without wrapping it and injecting it. Might give it a try this weekend.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree- for two butts (even 10 lbers) I don't think you need to worry about anything fancy.  Just set em side by side and let em go.  If they are touching a I think that is fine because they will shrink as they cook. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Bayarad
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the good and useful advice! They have been on for an hour and a half. I decided not to inject for now and will reevaluate in the a.m. I mixed 50/50 water and apple juice in the drip pan and rubbed them well with three eyz mild rib rub, inverted a v rack and put them on each side of the rack at a 45 degree angle. Fit was perfect! Digiq seems to be working great with temp bouncing around between 140-150 degrees. Now I can relax over a Knob Creek and Coke (or three) and let nature take it's course. Hopefully by noon tomorrow I'll have pulled pork magic! Thanks again and I'll let you know how it works out!
  • Bayarad
    Options
    Well the butts turned out very well...I'm reluctant to say perfect because I believe there's always room for improvement, but they were yummy and wifey's party was a success! The butts cooked for 19 hours to an internal temp of 195. I never peeked but the dome and base welded themselves together during the cook and the stock felt gasket came apart when I finally forced it open! Off to the dealer and Lowes this morning for a new gasket and some acetone! The gasket held up for seven months but I cook on it 3-4 times a week so can't complain I guess! Love the way the new DigiQ II managed the pit! Next time I'll get some pics uploaded!