Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Coals On Sale

davejames0426
davejames0426 Posts: 105
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
Stopped at local Lowes today in SC and they had 8.8 pound bags for $5.00, may want to check your local store for this close out sale.
LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC

Comments

• ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209

Lowes 15 lbs bags are 9 bucks around here(MS). I read that it is low quality, boards and flooring.

I am gonna try a bag soon.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Lowes 15 lbs bags are 9 bucks around here(MS). I read that it is low quality, boards and flooring.

I am gonna try a bag soon.

The first bag I got was poor but the last three bags have been very much better. I have had good luck with using this for my cooks.
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    edited October 2011
    Restaurant Depo (if there's one in your area) always has Kingsford Lump for sale @ $0.45 p/lb ....comes in 17.8 lb bags
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    cowboy quality is all over the place, this summer they changed over to regular lump from the scrap board lump, was good, but lately it has some off flavors, i think the wood being used isnt consistent, yellow smoke and a bitter taste in the last few bags and i think some pine was mixed in. it is even a little bitter after the smoke clears. bags have whole branch sections in them now, not split and chunked and some have bark still attached that looks like its from a hard pine
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I usually either use royal oak or cowboy.  I have not had much of a problem with cowboy but I have noticed that it comes to temp much faster but also burns quickly.  I typically have used it when baking to avoid smoke flavors, but I have not picked up a bag in a while...

• I am new to this, but my first 3 20 pound bags were cowboy and I thought it was fine until I tried the Ozark. The Ozark lights easier, burns better and seems cleaner than the cowboy.
    Rich
    Ashland, WI  /  Large & Mini Max
  • I am a big Ozark Oak fan.  We get it here locally in 10# bags for a little less than $5.
  • I had to pay $8 something with free shipping but I was paying $14.50 for 20 pounds of the Cowboy.
    Rich
    Ashland, WI  /  Large & Mini Max
  • I am in upstate South Carolina and normally the Cowboy is $8 per 8.8 LB. I have yet to find many different lumps locally to compare against.
  • 20lb bag ace hardware on woodruff $11.50
  • Garlic
    Garlic Posts: 40
    Kroger in savannah ga has there store brand of lump on sale for $5.49 for 8.8 lb bag, bought one to try when we get home. Anybody else ever use the kroger brand of lump?