Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tel Tru vs. Thermapen

Options
2»

Comments

• Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    If you cook to temperature your cooking will greatly improve. The thermapen has been one of the biggest improvements to the quality of cooking. In the past I was always concerned about time and wondered why the food really didn't turn out all that great.

This is absolutely true. My cooking improved immensely after I purchased a Thermapen, no more overcooking or undercooking for me...
  • fiercetimbo17
    fiercetimbo17 Posts: 141
    Options
    Actually yes but i feel like my thermapen is slower than advertised it's more like 10 seconds to lock in on a temp.
    I would say my fluke takes about 5 seconds.
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    fiercetimbo17 wrote:
    Actually yes but i feel like my thermapen is slower than advertised it's more like 10 seconds to lock in on a temp.
    I would say my fluke takes about 5 seconds.

Yes, but the obvious difference is that the Thermapen measures the interior temp, and the fluke measures the exterior.
  • fiercetimbo17
    Options
    I guess it's not that obvious then, the fluke has ir for measuring surface temps and fast reading probe that you use to measure your interior temps.
  • Kailas
    Options
    fiercetimbo17 wrote:
    I guess it's not that obvious then, the fluke has ir for measuring surface temps and fast reading probe that you use to measure your interior temps.

Dinn't see the probe. Two hander?
  • fiercetimbo17
    Options
    It fold up into the unit much like the thermapen. It's on the backside in the picture in the link. You use the buttons to select whether you want to us the probe or the ir. I never use the ir for the egg, maybe once I get a wok. It is nice when I pan fry.
  • Kailas
    Options
    fiercetimbo17 wrote:
    It fold up into the unit much like the thermapen. It's on the backside in the picture in the link. You use the buttons to select whether you want to us the probe or the ir. I never use the ir for the egg, maybe once I get a wok. It is nice when I pan fry.

I've always thought Fluke made good instruments.
  • fiercetimbo17
    Options
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    You did real good. ;)

Black happens to be the fastest. :laugh:
  • 392joe
    392joe Posts: 6
    Options
    does anyones thermopen really read in less then 2 secs???   mine is over 10 also

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I think if my Thermopen took 10 seconds to give an accurate reading, I'd call the company.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

My Thermapen is good in 3 to 4 sec. but will continue to fluctuate in a moist environment. So, I tend to just look for an average temp.

I was fortunate to get a laser thermometer from Canadian Tire on sale for about $20 and is very accurate for surface reading ... and my cat loves to chase the beam ...

I have checked the two against each other and they are calibrated so close that I'm very confidant in both ...

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    If you have one with exchangeable probes then speed will vary by probe. I did notice, much to my surprise, most type k probes indicate full reading my take up to 10sec. Of course, a thermapen is not one with interchangeable probes so this may be moot.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat