Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Birthday Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put on a Boston Butt last night at 8:15 for my birthday dinner tonight! Woke up at 6:15 this morning and I'll be darn, my BGE dome temp was dead-on 200 just like I left it before crashing, and internal temp was 156. This morning I slightly, and I mean slightly, nudged bottom vent a little more open and two hours later dome temp had risen to 230, with internal temp moving up to 163.[p]It's about 8:25 a.m. and would like to serve around 6 p.m. Any suggestions on what to do from here on out? I know the final goal is an internal temp of 200 and that at some point today I need to take the dome temp up to 250-300. Butt this is my first butt and am open to suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Danny B,[p]You didn't tell us the size of your butt so its hard to tell the total time to cook without it.[p]Sounds like you're rolling along nicely. The hardest part is keeping the fire going all night - you did that part. Just wait it out. I would bump it up to 225-250 now and leave it until you reach the plateau in temp. Then you could bump it another bit to 275. [p]If you get rushed - the temp can be bumped up or you can wrap in foil but you loose the nice crispy crust - that is the last resort.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Danny B,
    You still have over 8 hours left til dinner. Keep your temp under 250 until you get into the 170s. Get thru the plateau nice and slow...you have time. If by 2 pm, you aren't over 170, I would start kicking the temp up toward 300. JMO.[p]Good luck!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tim M, Thanks for the advice. It is a 7 3/4 pounder. It's 9:30 now and the internal temp is 174 with the dome temp having dropped at bit to about 215. It sounds like I'm shaping up for some good eats. Thanks for the advice![p]Danny B

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Danny B,
    Kick it back up to 250* and sit back and relax. It will done in plenty of time for your Birthday dinner. Happy Birthday!

• Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Well, it's 11:45 and the butt has blown right thru the "plateau" to 186* internal temp. I'm leaving the dome at 250* to cruise toward dinner. What's the timing on pulling the meat? Do I do it right before serving or shortly after taking it off after internal hits 200*? Thanks

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Danny B,[p]Your butt may have plateaued overnight; internal temp stalls between 140 and 170 degrees, usually.[p]If the butt's only going to sit an hour or so after you take it off, pull it shortly before serving.[p]Have a great dinner, & happy birthday -[p]Cathy

• Unknown
    Options
    Cat, thanks! I have one final question. It's 2 o'clock and the internal temp is at 199* and counting. Plans are now to eat around 6:30. Do I wrap it in foil and let it set out or wrap it and keep in in the oven on a low but warm temp, say around 150*?[p]Thanks for all who have chipped in to help today and for all the past help that I have gotten from the forum from just snooping around! Whoops, gotta run, the alarm's going off![p]Danny B

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Danny B,
    Pull it now and wrap in foil. If you have a cooler, place it in and cover with some towels. It will be just fine for your dinner. Forget putting it in the oven.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Danny B,[p]Looks like it went for a little less than 3 hr per lb. That's pretty avg. You will be surprised at how hot if will still be in 3 hrs when you start pulling -- I use the rubber gloves and 2 forks method.[p]Tim